𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟕: 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

Blake Farmer

Blake was full of emotions when he had heard the rest of his crew was safe and coming back to Rochester. He was more relieved when he actually saw them still all together in one piece.

Blake, Jacob, Julia and Carmen sat in a waiting room together once again with nothing but comfort surrounding them.

Although Blake felt like he could breathe better, especially since he was healing up already, anxious thoughts kept floating around his mind. He didn't know what they were going to ask him or when this would all be over with so he could finally go home.

He just really wanted to go home.

"What do you think is taking so long?" Jacob asked, turning his swivel chair from side to side impatiently.

Blake had kept watching him. He knew Jacob had become nervous as well, his actions spoke louder than his words sometimes.

"Just relax," Carmen sat his back towards the table in his chair and gazed out the large windows, "they said this shouldn't take long."

Blake watched as Julia mimicked Carmen's moves, trying to see whatever he was looking at.

"I never knew downtown New York was this busy during the day," Julia's soft voice sliced through the few seconds of silence.

Blake sat silently, watching as the small people below them walked around, talked on the phone and chased after taxis. 

"Isn't it weird that they'll never know people like us are watching them in these little moments," Carmen said.

Julia's laugh came out as a bubbly giggle. "That's one way to look at it."

Blake chuckled too. When his eyes scanned the room again, he saw Jacob looking at the two of them being uninterested in their small talk.

"You good?" Blake spoke quietly so only he could hear.

"Yeah," he looked down playing with his hands that were resting on the table.

"You worried 'bout her?" Blake tilted his head towards Julia.

Jacob glanced once again and Blake saw his uneasiness.

"Of course I am. Julia was the one that was always looking out for me, especially through all of this."

Blake started to wonder what went down when he wasn't with them. He didn't know them personally, he just knew that Julia and Jacob had grown up together.

"Yeah and when she told me that whole story of how she went looking for me, I just felt so stupid, man."

Blake kept nodding, trying to understand what exactly he was talking about.

"Then she started mentioning going home to Grandma and-"

"She knows your grandma?"

Jacob was caught off guard. "Our grandma," he corrected.

"I'm sorry, what?"

Jacob sat up a little straighter. Confusion was shown on both of their faces.

"We're... cousins..." Jacob said slowly.

Blake's jaw hung a little. "You forgot to mention that," he muttered.

Jacob shook his head. "What were you thinking?"

"I don't know, I thought you were so protective of her 'cause you had... y'know, feelings."

Jacob looked at him disgusted. "What?"