𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟖: 𝐬𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐝𝐥𝐲 𝐬𝐨

Vanessa Vaughen

Vanessa paced across the floor. Bourne tapped his foot rapidly, yet quietly, as he leaned forward in the chair. They both waited impatiently in the waiting room of New York General Hospital. 

"What do you think happened?" Vanessa asked as she stepped over to Bourne, quickly sitting down before she got dizzy.

Bourne shrugged. "I don't know... it's hard to tell."

"He was supposed to be in a bed resting all day, how hard could that have been?"

"Vaughen," Bourne's tone had twinges of irritation, "don't start."

Vanessa sighed, rubbing her hands back and forth on her thighs as she sat up straighter. She tried spotting the nurses at the station and wonder if they were talking about him.

She leaned back, trying not to get frustrated.

This is ridiculous. Too much is happening already, nobody needs this.

"Do you think I should-"

"No."

"But maybe they're-"

"Vanessa," Bourne glanced at her from the side, shaking his head.

Vanessa was silenced. She didn't know what was going on with her partner and now she was being silenced.

This isn't fair.

"Just calm down. I'm sure he's going to be fine."

"How do you know?"

Bourne looked at her, exhausted. "Vanessa, this is the last time I'm telling you. Just sit down and stay quiet. Seriously, the last thing anybody needs is your added drama."

Vanessa's mouth slightly opened as his words slightly offended her. She didn't even know how to respond.

"Fine," she mumbled like a little kid, leaning back in her chair and folding her arms across her chest.

Bourne took a deep breath and closed his eyes. Quiet mumbles came out of his mouth, she was pretty sure he was praying. Vanessa watched as nurses would walk down the halls. 

She exhaled a deep breath, closing her eyes and leaning her head back.

God, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get so worked up. Please protect Matthew. Please?

The jitters turned to sweaty palms and nervous energy as she sat in the waiting room quietly looking at everything. 

A doctor came out and started walking towards them. Vanessa sat up straight, expectant of the news. Bourne stood up, Vanessa copied.

The doctor shook his head. "The poor guy overworked himself exactly as we told him not to. His wound is slightly infected, so I've prescribed some medication to help with that, and he should be taking his pain meds daily. I've also recommended a doctor he should see until he completely heals up. Recovery after surgery can be hard, but I need to make sure someone keeps an eye on him."

Bourne nodded. "Will do, thanks doc."

The doctor nodded and told them about seeing the nurse after Matthew's discharge. 

Vanessa exhaled again, smiling. "That guy is going to be the death of me."

Bourne shook his head grinning. "You and me both, kid," he started towards the doors, "c'mon, let's go see where he's at."

They made their way towards Matthew's room, opening the door.

"Benson," Bourne's serious tone returned, "I thought we talked about not overworking ourselves, remember."