𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕: 𝐛𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐫𝐮𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐬

Julia Welch

"You okay?" Jacob called from across her. 

It was the fifth time he was asking, and the fifth time she was ignoring him. She kept looking down at the concrete ground. The cold room was dark, only a singular incandescent light bulb shone in the middle of them.

Julia sniffed, hot tears fell down her cheeks. She couldn't believe this was actually happening. She could feel the stings of her bloody cuts, the ache of her bruises and the pinches as the rope gripped her wrists and held them against the metal of the chair. She wondered how long it would take in order for them to heal. She wondered what her grandmother would think once she saw her... if she ever saw her again.

Her stomach growled and the pangs of hunger lead to more aches in the abdomen. Her head felt like it was about to roll off of her neck and her body was sweating all over.

"Why did you do it, Jules," Jacob whispered across from her. Over the hours they had been trapped here, she had seen him in a completely different light. He wasn't the brave, obnoxious being he was before. Now he was all shaken up and nervous. Who knew what was going to happen to them?

She sniffed again, blinking away her tired eyes. Julia shook her head, no words came out of her mouth. Her neck craned upwards to look at him sitting tied up across from her, but she couldn't meet him in the eyes. She couldn't tell him what was really in her heart.

There were soft thuds coming from outside of the walls, then the unlocking of the metal door came with low growls of predators coming after them.

"Listen up, the boss has something new," a malicious bodyguard stood in the middle of them with his large buddies behind him. More men came through holding onto another kid that looked around their age.

"Alright, alright, put me down you fools!" The guy yelped as they threw him at the floor. The guy just stood up and brushed it off as if it was nothing and turned to the guards who were staring him down.

"¿Quién te crees?!" The guy yelled, his words echoed through the room. Julia just stared at him.

"Jorge!" Warner came stepping in with a delightful expression on his face.

"What is this? Warner, I told you I am not interested! Let me free!"

Walter chuckled. "Oh, Jorge, you always seem to crack me up. Listen, you foreign imbecile, we caught you sneaking around our premises."

"So? What is the big deal here?"

"The deal, mi amigo, is that you aren't supposed to be here. But we caught you."

Jorge grinned. "Oh no, what is going to happen? Am I in trouble now? Go ahead, lock me up, you will regret it."

Warner's face turned stone cold within milliseconds. He didn't take Jorge's sarcasm as a joke. 

"Ah, I see you think this is all a joke to you," he jerked his head towards Jorge, giving his bodyguards the notion of taking ahold of the poor guy.

Jorge looked frightened once the large men grabbed his boney arms. He gave a weak chuckle. "A joke? No, that would be absolutely ridiculous, Warner. You see, I respect each and every one of you. In fact, I was just about to leave you to your angry business-"

"Shut up!"

"Yes sir," Jorge immediately looked away. 

"You see these two?" Warner pointed towards Jacob and Julia. The guards had now seated Jorge on the empty chair in replacement of the other guy that was here.

Julia watched as they tied the guy up. He looked nervous and was shaking like a little chihuahua dog.

"You three have work to do, I'm not letting you go to waste. I will give the details tomorrow. We fly out tonight, is that understood?"

"What are we doing?" Jorge called, still staring Warner down.

"Oh, don't worry, it's nothing hard. I'm giving you a chance to redeem yourselves. We head out for Florida, there is a church I want you to go steal from. Do the mission right, and you won't head into trouble. Do this mission wrong... well, let's just say you'll reap the consequences."

Warner made hard eye contact with Julia before he left without a word. She didn't know what consequences he was talking about, but she could tell it would be way worse than what she had already been through.

"Ay, Dios Mio! I can't do this!" Jorge started crying and shaking in his chair. Jacob seemed to give Julia a look before nodding over to the poor guy.

"Uh, you alright?" Jacob called.

Jorge kept sobbing, Julia just stared at him. In a way, she could tell how this guy looked ruthless, but the sensitive part he was showing confused the way his reputation was showing.

"We're heading to Florida..." Julia said, her mouth felt like she had licked the desert floor. Dehydration made her head start pounding harder.

"Everything's going to be alright, we'll make it out of here," Jacob tried to give Julia a sympathetic look. His eyes were bloodshot and the bruises on his face and neck made Julia want to throw up.

She just looked back at him with tired eyes. Her heart ached even more at the sight of him. She couldn't tell which pain was worse. 

Her eyelids started growing heavier by the minute. Slowly, the little incandescent lightbulb started blurring her vision and was just this tiny yellow light in a fading black area. There was something coming out of Jacob's mouth, but her brain failed to comprehend his words. Her head throbbed and her arms tingled from the cut-off circulation. 

She tried fighting every urge, but soon all she could see was a pitch-black void. No Jacob or Jorge or little light bulb in sight. There were few words that came to mind before her body couldn't take it anymore. Those few words vanished and she felt like heaving for a breath.
Her chest collapsed, her body failed. 

Julia was fading... 

Fading faster and faster by the hour.

A/N

oh Julia... :((

thoughts on this chapter? I'm trying to not make it too traumatizing, but these characters are going through a lot, so idk.