𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟖: 𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐚𝐛𝐬𝐨𝐥𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐲

Vanessa Vaughen

Vanessa felt like sinking into her chair until she slipped under her desk and fled from the humiliation.

"You alright there, V?" Matthew, ever so helpfully, asked.

Vanessa blinked, turning her head slightly so she could face him. "Mmhm," she pressed her lips together and tried smiling.

"Do you want me to-"

"Oh no," she began shaking her head, cutting off Matthew's question, "it's alright."

He tried saying more, but her hand motioned for him to stop. Vanessa's heart began to sink with her.

"Well, are you just going to sit there and think about it?"

Vanessa looked at him again. "Is there any other choice?"

Matthew shook his head slightly, spinning his chair to look back at the large desktop screen. "There's a mission we need to work on. Now, c'mon, get your head in the game and worry about Bourne later."

Vanessa watched him lean himself forward as he tried searching for more on Kaufman's results. A crack of a smile came through as she watched him clicking through profiles and reading every bit he could.

"You're not at all one bit worried that Bourne will call off this mission?"

Matthew scoffed. "Didn't he already do that once?"

Vanessa shrugged, thinking back to that phone call. "I guess."

"And did it work?" He was still scrolling through the documents, his chin resting on his hand.

"No," Vanessa sighed, "no it did not."

"Is it going to work this time?"

"Not unless he fires me," she mumbled, playing with her fingers in her lap.

Matthew spun to face her. "I doubt it very much that Bourne is going to fire you because you found out about his biological relatives."

"What if it gets him really angry. I mean, I would be angry if somebody else ever found out my-" she paused, taking a glance at his patient look.

"Your what?" He asked, genuinely curious.

Vanessa looked back down. "My biological father."

Matthew continued to look at her, but Vanessa didn't dare to make eye contact. She knew if she would continue to think about the possibilities, nothing good would come out of it. 

"You know, it's not a sin to be angry," Matthew said slowly as if he were picking out his words carefully, "It's what you do with that anger that can turn out to be a sin."

Vanessa continued to stay quiet, allowing him to continue with his thought.

 "I'm sure it's uncomfortable for Bourne right now, and I'm sure some part of him is still angry. But I'm almost positive that he's going to do the right thing and make sure that Walter Warner is going to get taken down, and that we can get our friends back."

Vanessa smiled at the mention of their friends. 

"I think the most important thing to do right now, is to keep going. Too many things got in our way last time and it was all too much, that's why it got pushed aside. But just because it's too much for us doesn't mean we can't give it all to Jesus so He can help us. If we continue to do what's right, we can make it, but only with His help."

Vanessa's smile only brightened when she finally looked up at him and saw his eyes. 

"Look at you becoming a preacher-man," she teased.