𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟓: 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡

Charlie Huntington

Charlie felt his body jolt. It was as if his body was trying to tell him to get up. His lungs started pumping and his heartbeat picked up the pace.

He was still alive?

He laid still for a second, afraid to open his eyes but felt like he was about to cough up a bunch of dust. With each dry hack, his body jolted more and more. He took his hand and slid it over his face allowing his eyes to open to a blurry vision of what looked like smudges of dark clouds.

When he realized he could move without much pain he sat up straight, allowing his eyes to adjust to the view before him.

Charlie sat in the middle of what he thought was the room he was in before. Broken and damaged pieces of wall laid cracked on the floor, leaving a hefty mess. Charlie still couldn't see the other end of the room. 

What he did see was a sliver of light that appeared to be getting brighter. He got excited at the chances of someone looking for them.

At the thought of them, Charlie started turning and looking frantically around. Giselle wasn't in his arms. 

"Giselle?" His voice broke. A rush of multiple emotions started to flood his mind. 

He waited silently, waiting for her to call out. His ears chirped at what sounded like her wincing in pain.

"Giselle?" He continued to call, hoping she could hear him, "Giselle where are you?"

No answer. Charlie got on his feet and stood. The room looked like a maze and yet he couldn't figure out where the finish line was.

Charlie started feeling dizzy, his head seem to spin with every weak step he decided to take. With his body slightly buzzing and going numb he started to look for her.

The sounds of her slightly coughing somewhere underneath the mounds of broken building worried him. He needed to make sure she was okay.

With every surge of strength he had left in him, he started digging. He pushed aside fallen equipment and broken bricks. As he picked up more pieces, he could hear her faint coughs. He started pushing harder, and at the sight of her arm he dropped to his knees and started forcing things out of the way to uncover the rest of her body.

"Giselle?" His voice was full of emotion as he pulled the rest of her body out and cradeled her in his arms.

"Charlie?" Giselle whispered. Charlie's body washed with relief when he heard her speak.

She started coughing more, closing her eyes again. Charlie hadn't noticed the puddle of crimson liquid starting to form underneath him. The big scratch formed on the side of her cheek and the new blue smudges of bruises. Seeing her like this made him determined to get her out of this mess.

He tried standing her up, but she only gripped his shirt and leaned on him for balance. Charlie didn't know what to do at this point. 

He tried looking around for an easy way out. He looked towards an opening where he saw the light coming from. More smoke started entering the room, and pretty soon so did the light- in rich flames of fire ready to take over this part of the building as well.

"Charlie," Giselle looked like she was about to pass out, "get out of here!"

She let go of her grip on him, but he only wanted to bring her closer. He couldn't leave without her. He didn't want to leave without her.

"Go Charlie," she coughed, her breathing died down as if she was about to lose sight, "you have to go."

All of the running emotion overcame him as tears rolled down his dirty cheeks. "I'm not leaving you," he whispered, watching as she closed her eyes, not knowing if she would ever be able to open them again.