𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟗: 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝

M. Bourne

All of my life I've been questioning myself. Not so much who I was as a person, but where I was originated from. I was adopted into an orphanage in downtown New York. I'll spare the sad stories of the horrific child abandonment that happened when I was just a baby, but each passing day in that orphanage struck deeper pain to be wanted as I saw each one of my friends get taken away into loving homes with wonderful parents. That's all a child wants. To be loved and to be wanted. Although, eventually, I had to grow up.

And that's when the biggest change in my life happened. I learned that someone did want me. I learned that He wanted everyone and that He loved everyone. I quickly realized that He was the One my heart had been desiring for all along. 

I changed. My life changed. He had been with me all along and now I was dedicating my whole self and service towards Him. The greatest part is that I found more people just like that, and so we started an organization to make sure we could spread His light throughout the streets of America.

But I have to admit, no matter where God led me in life, that one question still remained in my mind...

What happened to them? 

I had been angry for a long time about the situation. I remember being so determined to find them, but it had been useless and I couldn't get my answer.

That's when I got a call, about four days ago. Such a strange conversation. It could have been anyone, a scammer, a traitor, someone who was just trying to mess with me.

So it could have been anyone, really, and with no digital proof to track the caller or where the call was coming from, I was doomed at the loss of meeting this mystery person. 

And I applaud whoever that person was because instead of the question "what?"  going on in my mind, I now get to ask the question of "how?"

How do I get rid of them?

~~~

Vanessa Vaughen

"Do you think we should at least invite Giselle and Charlie?"

Matthew shrugged. "They said they were tired, let's give them a break. We've been spending a lot of time together lately."

"Yeah, that's true."

She quickly pulled out her phone and tapped a quick message to Giselle, asking if she was okay.

They walked down the hall towards the elevator. Although she tried to ignore her feelings, she could still sense that there was something going on with her best friend. And right now, she really wanted someone to tag along with them.

"You look a little nervous."

"It's not that I'm nervous, I'm just a little unsure of how I should be feeling."

"What do you mean?"

Vanessa sighed. "I don't know, maybe it's like you said, we've all been spending too much time together."

"You want a little you time?"

"Exactly," she smiled.

Matthew nodded. "That's too bad."

Vanessa scoffed. "Wow, and I thought you were going to be understanding this time."

"Excuse me, I am understanding, now come hold my hand so we can walk into the restaurant without looking weird."