𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟑: 𝐬𝐦𝐨𝐤𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

Matthew Perry-Benson

Matthew felt anxious

Matthew felt anxious. As did everyone at this moment.

"Are you sure Bourne won't fire us for doing this?"

Matthew looked to the scrawny intern seated across from him. He was pretty sure his name was Nate, but never actually asked to find out.

Matthew shook his head. "I don't want anything to go wrong and I certainly don't want them to be in trouble. Bourne should have set up a backup plan, including a certified team in case anything were to happen."

"I think you're doing the right thing, Agent," Darla gave him a firm nod from across the plane aisle. Matthew envied the way she was able to act so calmly under these types of situations. Still, it did make him feel better.

Agent. He liked the sound of the title, but it was at this moment he wasn't sure what exactly it meant.

Nate let out an exhale as he went back to typing rapidly on his laptop. "Okay, the best I could do was set up a SWAT team under the circumstances."

Matthew tried to chuckle. "Why, was the FBI too busy?"

"Sorry, sir, it's the best I could do under the time limit-"

"I was kidding, take it easy," Matthew gave a smile. He seriously couldn't imagine what Bourne goes through 24/7, handling this part of one case was bad enough.

The jet landed shortly. Matthew was the first to step out and into South Carolina.

"Nathan, you and your team know what to do?" Matthew started to put on the equipment accessories.

The boy gave him a nod. "We'll be in touch at all times, this way we won't be able to lose you."

"Hey Darla, where is the vehicle you arranged for me?"

Darla walked around the base, Matthew followed. 

"I'm sure that this will be suitable to your liking."

In front of him stood a gorgeous motorcycle shining in black paint. Matthew's jaw hung open just slightly.

"It's the new Kawasaki Z H2- of course, redesigned to have all the latest tech gear you'll be needing to do this mission," Darla gave a gesture to hop on.

Matthew fixated on his helmet and sat on the bike, taking a deep breath.

"Remember, you'll want to locate either Vanessa's or Bourne's vehicle first before you go anywhere," Darla spoke, Matthew nodded, "and be careful."

"Yeah, you do know how to ride a motorcycle, right?" Nate chimed in.

Matthew exhaled again, this time nodding with a bit more confidence.

"And remember," Darla paused, making sure he was paying attention, "as long as the Lord is with you, nothing shall stand in your way."

"See you on the flip side," Nate gave a wink as he plugged in his equipment and spoke into the mic that was connected to Matthew's in-ears.