𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟏: 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐨𝐫 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫

M. Bourne

Vanessa, Matthew, Darla and Bourne himself spent most of the night figuring out a plan. Bourne was on his fourth cup of coffee by the time they came to the point of knowing what they had to do in order to finish strong.

"All we have to figure out now is when this is all going to happen," Vanessa leaned back in her chair. Bourne gazed at each of them, they all looked at the point of crashing.

Bourne walked around the board room and focused on looking out the window, watching the busy city at night. "Okay, here's what we have to do," Bourne was determined for everything to work out, he turned to face the three of them, "we're going to have to split up."

He gave each of the instructions. Darla was going to find the group of teenagers, Vanessa was going to have to find Giselle and Charlie.

"I'll go with Vanessa. Matthew, you stay here and man the ship."

Matthew faced him, his eyebrows showing his confusion. "What?"

Vanessa's head popped up as if she was just paying attention.

"Problem?"

Matthew looked back down at the table, he began shaking his head. "No, no problem."

Bourne knew what was really going on. Matthew thought he was going to be heading down to save Giselle and Charlie. But under his condition, Bourne couldn't let that happen. Plus, he had already lost Adam, why did he have to lose Matthew too? Bourne's heart felt heavy.

Darla immediately headed out, leaving the three of them stuck in a silent room.

"So, when do we leave?" Vanessa asked, rubbing her eyes.

Bourne sighed, finally sitting down. "We have to prepare first."

Vanessa looked up at him, nodding. None of this felt comfortable, it never did. This was the part everybody hated: facing the bad guy.

Bourne sat leaning back for a moment. Closing his eyes, he started praying in his head.

"We need to rest first, I'll set up our equipment. We have to get out there tomorrow, first thing."

Without any more ounce of hesitation, Vanessa nodded, packed her folder full of papers again and said her goodnight's.

"And then there were two," Bourne looked over at Matthew and grinned. Although he smiled back, Matthew still looked uncomfortable.

"I can't lose you, Matt," Bourne leaned further back in his chair and looked up at the ceiling, "I hope you understand where I'm coming from."

He couldn't see Matthew directly, but he could tell his eyes were on him.

"I know," Matthew said quietly, his tone dripped with bitterness, "I'm just here until this is finally over with. Then we all move on."

Bourne didn't know how to respond. There was hurt in Matthew's words, he could tell that much. But what he didn't understand was why Matthew was feeling this way. There was already too much going on that Bourne didn't want this to be the time to bring up heavier topics.

Bourne had this mission to do. If he wanted to take down Warner he had to do it himself. Seeing his own uncle in the flesh lit a raging fire in Bourne that not even he could explain.

They sat in silence for a few moments until Bourne had to get up and start moving forward. His heart started beating at a faster pace as he tensed. All of these years had led up to another opportunity to finally take down Warner. Bourne couldn't help but feel nervous.