𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟕: 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞, 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬

Charlie Huntington

"Giselle, you really need to calm down," Charlie looked at the distressed woman across from him.

They were sitting at a table in the dining hall of their hotel, trying to map out their next move. Part of Charlie couldn't understand why Giselle was being so nervous about the situation, but then again, so many things were happening at once and he knew that every little thing confused her.

"She still isn't picking up, this is terrible. What if something had happened to her? What if she's in trouble and needs help? What if she's been kidnapped?"

Charlie looked around, making sure none of the other guests were staring at them.

He leaned in, lowering his voice. "Will you at least tone it down? There are other people here you need to keep in mind of."

Giselle was already leaning forward, one hand held a phone, the other held her hurting head.

"It just doesn't make any sense, none of it does."

Charlie sighed. "I know..."

"And what are we supposed to do? I can't reach anyone over at the Agency and Bourne hasn't responded."

"Maybe there's a perfectly good reason why all of this is happening," Charlie tried staying optimistic about the situation, but he knew very well that these things don't usually happen because of something good.

"I've never dealt with a case more confusing and painful as this one," she shook her head slightly as she placed her phone down on the table, still staring at it expecting for a ring to sound any second.

"Of all possible things, I think this is the worst," she continued, "I'd rather have all the information than nothing at all."

"That's not the way life works, Giselle."

"Yeah, yeah, I know... I just wish someone would say something! Give us a hint or a clue! Something, anyone?!"

Her arms were spread out like wings, she almost knocked over her mug of terrible coffee in it.

Charlie couldn't help but grin. "Will you keep it down?"

He could see a small smile start to curve her lips. 

He liked moments like this, where his coworker could talk to him. Even though their situation was terrible, they could still be themselves and try their best.
That's what he missed the most about Giselle... moments like these.

A vibration rang and Giselle quickly reached to see if it was hers. Instead of an expectant message from anyone at the agency, it was Charlie's phone that rang.

"You've been getting a lot of notifications recently, is everything okay?"

Charlie looked down at his phone. His face dropped when he saw the same messages start to repeat themselves over and over again.

Ex: I know you still read my messages, Charles, I know you still love me.

His attention returned to the woman in front of him. Her dark eyes scanned his face for some sort of emotion.

He cleared his throat. "Uh, yeah, it's just... nobody."

"Is it?" Her eyes were still on him, giving him some sort of pained look.

Does she know? Is it really that obvious?

Without another ounce of hesitation, Charlie did something he knew he should've done a long time ago. He hit the block button and deleted the number from the phone.