𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐: 𝐢 𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐧 𝐮𝐩 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬

Matthew Perry-Benson

"What are you saying?" 

The brunette in front of him just sat in her chair with a serious look on her face. Matthew couldn't help but observe her creased forehead as she seemed to be trying to map out all of the little details in her brain. The way her manicured hands smoothed over the bright yellow folder or her head would perk up at little details.

Viper. That's what Bourne told him when he agreed to this mission. He had never met her before, but through the words of his old friend, he definitely wasn't expecting Viper to be anything like this.

"What are these guys doing?" She asked. Matthew could sense a hint of nervousness in her tone. They weren't even ten minutes into the meeting and he was already getting irritated. 

Seems like this Viper gal isn't what they say she is...

Bourne sighed. "There's been traces that these guys have been going around to church services and digging into their pockets."

They all stared at him, waiting for more. "I don't get it," Giselle blinked.

"They've been going to churches across the country and stealing from their online offering transaction."

The brunette's round brown eyes widened. Matthew could sense weight shifting in the uncomfortable chairs. He so desperately wanted to run out of the building.

"And there's proof of this?" Charlie asked.

"There are churches going bankrupt all over the states. Only two names keep popping up from the pastors we've talked to, Jacob Rhodes and Blake Farmer."

"Do you know anything about them?" Charlie asked.

Bourne shook his head.

"Really?" Vanessa stared at the few pages in the folder. "What about a description?"

Bourne shrugged. "As I said before, this mission is different than others. And a lot more difficult. They're good, too good. Although we have a sense in an area we think they're headed next. We need to move fast since this Sunday is only a few days away."

"So what do you expect us to do?"

"We need digital technicians," Bourne's eyes directed to Charlie and Giselle. "Track these guys down and find out how they're hacking into these accounts. You two are the best we've got. "

"No need to butter us up, Bourne," Giselle eyed across the room at her partner.

"Yeah," Charlie leaned back and smirked, "we have no choice."

Matthew stared at the two. He knew very little information about his new teammates, but something was definitely going on between these computer nerds.

"Wait, wait, what does that mean for us?" Vanessa asked.

Matthew stared at Bourne, but he avoided their eye contact and sat back in the chair. 

"You two are going to track these guys down for good."

"And how do you want us to do that?" Matthew kept his focus on his boss.

"You need to follow them to what we think is the next church they're going to hit."

"Alright, we can do that. When's the next stop?" Vanessa straightened her shoulders.

Bourne held his hand up. "Hold on, Vanessa, I'm not quite finished."

"What are you talking about?"

"You're going to be ending up in churches... randomly, it's going to be a little odd and suspicious, I guess."