𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟑: 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐭𝐡

M. Bourne

"So, what are we going to do, Bourne?" They held a meeting in one of the boardrooms in the building. Bourne was at the head of the table, trying to process his thoughts. His head was pounding already, he didn't know if he could make it through the hour.

"This guy is getting way too dangerous."

"Bourne, we need a plan."

Chatter amongst the teams made their way inside his head. He wasn't even sure if he understood their questions. The thumping in his eardrums made him want to go lay down. He didn't even remember the last time he had slept for a full eight hours. Late nights and early mornings are what cramped his regular schedule. So many unanswered questions with insomnia for the most part.

A faint ringing of a phone sounded down the hallway. Bourne's head lifted upwards, all eyes turned towards him.

"You okay there, Bourne?"

"Someone go answer that, please," he tried steadying the shake in his voice.

"Bourne, I'm sure Darla will handle it, we need to get back to the mission."

Bourne sighed, trying to drag the ringing sound in his ears away from him. Suddenly, a buzz on the intercom in the boardroom sounded.

"Bourne, I have Vanessa on line one in your office, it sounds urgent."

"Thank you Darla, I'll be right there."

"But, what about-"

"It's urgent. Now, we'll rediscuss this meeting later," Bourne quickly got up and paced out of the boardroom. He tried keeping steady as his feet one by one made their way down the hall and entered his spacious office. He walked over to his desk, picking up the phone.

"Bourne, you there?" Vanessa's voice boomed in his right ear.

"I'm here, I'm here, what's going on?"

There was a bit of a pause before she said anything. He could hear slight chatter from wherever she was.

"It's Matthew, sir."

"Wh-What happened?"

"He's been shot."

Vanessa's voice slightly cracked, Bourne could tell she was crying.

"V, where are you?" He leaned against the wall, trying to support himself.

"At a hospital... outside his room."

He heard her sniff, while a muffled sort of sob followed. Bourne could already feel the lump forming in his throat.

"Bourne, I-I don't know what to do."

Bourne stayed quiet, trying to understand what to say and how to handle the situation.

"I've never been more scared in my life," she whispered.

It was like her words had also broken him. Hot tears started to rise to the brim of his eyelids as if they were about to spill over. It felt as if his legs had failed him, he collapsed on his chair, closing his eyes as the emotions went over his head.

No more questions echoed in his mind, only the sound of fear. His hand trembled, trying to keep the phone still at his ear.

"What do I do, Bourne?" 

That's a good question...

"I-I don't know V," he sighed, trying to calm himself down, "ask God?"