𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎: 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐩𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐜

Charlie Huntington

Charlie couldn't sleep.
He had slept for a full six hours during their drive from Rochester, New York to Charleston, South Carolina, and even though he felt mentally exhausted, his physical body couldn't keep up.

He stared at the tv screen that was showing some action movie. The rest of the room was dark and he only had the dim of the lamp he had turned on. Sitting on the edge of the bed, the sound was on level 5 to not disturb his neighbours. He heard a muffled explosion and some guy got shot. His luggage was still up against the wall, his phone was still muted and on the little table.

Physically he was in yet another luxurious hotel room with fine amenities, but his head was somewhere else. It still hurt. And it felt terrible. He didn't know what else to do.

He couldn't eat, now he can't sleep. He could just stare at the heroin in the movie getting praised for saving a town from some bad guys. He felt a twinge of jealousy creeping up on him. He watched as the woman came up and kissed him, more cheers and clapping happened. More smiles and joy.

He knew it was all scripted, but he so desperately wanted that kind of feeling now.

Feeling sorry for yourself isn't going to make anything better, you know.

He sighed, as the movie ended and credits played, he allowed to tip over on his back and land on the bed fully.

Well... I don't know what else to do.

It was like everything was ripping his insides apart. The problem was that he didn't know how to put himself back together, he didn't even think that was a possibility right now.

"How do things get better from here?" He questioned out loud in a soft whisper. 

He blinked at the ceiling... Was he asking the ceiling? 

It made him realize something:

 When was the last time he had actually talked to God?

Chills ran along his spine. An emotional wave was about to come over him again. 

Another question popped in his head:

Did God even want to hear from him?

Had he sinned? Was he feeling guilty? Surely this wasn't his fault. Something had rocked him to the core.

But when was the last time he even turned to God?

Bzzz. His phone vibrated on the table. The empty pit of silence that followed almost scared him. As if he was waiting for something more.

Bzzz. It happened again, and again, and again. Something was going on.

Hauling himself up, he walked over to his phone. Five messages were coming in, all from Giselle.

Gi-Gi: something's happened. 

Gi-Gi: the system is failing, my computer is fried.

Gi-Gi: I can't get ahold of Bourne.

Gi-Gi: Charlie, I need you.

Gi-Gi: Please wake up. Charlie???

Charlie scanned the messages twice to make sure he didn't misread anything.

Charlie, I need you.

Panic. Something was happening. Mentally slapping himself in the face, he drew out of his daze and started replying.

Hunt: I'm here, what's wrong?

Gi-Gi: I don't know. I saw an alert on my computer and wanted to check it out. A bunch of lights kept flashing and my whole computer is frozen.