𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟓: 𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐮𝐚𝐥 𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐮𝐚𝐥

Walter Warner

"So when does the fun part happen?"

Warner's men kept taunting the idea of playing with their two hostages. Although Warner never intended on actually getting these two, he needed to decide what had to happen in order to move forward. Plans can change quickly, and as the hours ticked by, Warner was getting more impatient. 

He longed for the moment Carmen would return with the rest of the kids at his disposal. But he knew the chances of that happening were little.

Twinges of hurt and pain made Warner's fists clench. Warner had never had considered his blood relatives family, but since finding Carmen on the side of a desert road, it was like his heart had only longed for a relationship with him. Carmen did everything Warner had taught, and he did it well. He was a smart kid, and if Warner was ever to be completely honest with himself, he could have even found some love for the kid.

But Carmen hadn't returned. The plan did change. With more than just grief siding within him, he knew what really had to happen if he ever wanted his ways.

Telling his men to leave him, he turned to watch the monitors. He watched as the woman and the man helped each other, cried together and talked. Through it all, they were together and somehow still didn't give in to the depressed torture Warner wanted them to go through.

He wanted them dead so bad.

"Just so you know," he spoke to the screen even though nobody could hear them, "I do plan on doing something about the two of you soon. I just need a bit more time to figure out when the rest of your team can make his appearance. Then I'll happily let you go in return for my own revenge."

He thought for a moment, thinking of how this could be handled without his team. "Don't worry Agent Vaughen, I'll make sure Micheal is taken care of very, very well."

His hand glided to pick up the note she had left weeks ago now. He crushed it completely in the palm of his fist, hearing the sound of the paper crinkle.

Nobody could stand in the way of his own family now, of course.

~~~

Vanessa Vaughen

"I got the results," Vanessa stepped into her office where Matthew sat with his head leaned back and his eyes closed.

"Oh that's good," he mumbled without moving.

Vanessa knew he was tired, and she knew he had to get home. But this was important, and she needed him there with her.

Opening the special folder, she placed it down on the table in front of him, she followed the instruction to upload the documents on her desktop.

"Okay, let's see here," she began to read out loud, "Results for Joshua Kaufman."

She scanned the pages to the interesting parts. Only more confusion showed on her face.

"What? Show me," Matthew sat upright and reached for the paper, his eyes moved from left to right.

"Never been to jail, documented license plate when he was thirty... wait a minute, look at this."

Vanessa shifted closer to Matthew as they both looked at the document.

Matthew read the information. "Joshua Kaufman, previously known as William Warner."

"Okay, so that's confirmed, but does it tell us why?" Vanessa got anxious.

Matthew squinted as he looked further. "Look at this, page 3, Witness Protection Program."

Suddenly it began to click. "That's how he did it, that's how William got the name Kaufman. He must have been threatened to the point where he went to the police and got his whole identity switched."

"But what happened to William's wife and child?"

"Does it say anywhere?"

Matthew scrolled until he found something about Kaufman's past life.

"Former wife, Lisa Berau and child is..." He paused leaving Vanessa to read it herself.

Vanessa read the words, then reread the words. 

"Impossible," was the only thing that could come out of her mouth.

Matthew turned towards her, "what on earth does this mean?"

Vanessa leaned back, trying to fit all of the pieces together. 

"I-If Kaufman is William and William is Warner's brother and William was married to Lisa and Lisa had a child that means that William is the father and Warner is the uncle."

Matthew's eyes looked like they were about to bulge out of his head.

"That means Bourne is Warner's nephew," Vanessa drew the words out slowly. 

For a solid minute, they let the words sink in. Complete silence filled her office until a knock sounded on the door.

"Agent Vaughen, there's someone I would like for you to meet-" Bourne paused at the sight of Matthew.

"What on earth are you doing here?" He turned to Vanessa, "what is he doing here?"

Vanessa could only stare at her boss, wondering if he knew anything. He never talked about his personal life, but this... this was different.

"You should be at home, Benson. What is the reason for this?"

Vanessa turned to Matthew, but the same awe-struck face appeared to freeze him in his chair.

"Sir, we need you to take a look at this," Vanessa said, her voice barely a whisper.

Bourne walked around the desk as Matthew scrolled through the documents. For a few seconds, Vanessa held her breath hoping Bourne wouldn't fire her on the spot.

"What is this?" Bourne's tone had changed, his face went from solemn to rested.

"We looked into Kaufman sir, we found out that he was Warner's brother," Vanessa took a breath before continuing, "it was believed he also had a wife and a child before he went into the Witness Protection, and the child it's, well... you."

Bourne took a step back. Vanessa couldn't determine what was going on in his head, nor what his expression showed.

The room filled with the same silence again, but Bourne cleared his throat, walked back around the desk and turned towards the door.

"I'll reschedule that meeting for you," were the only words he spoke as he walked through the door and closed it quietly shut.

Matthew leaned back and turned to Vanessa, expecting her to say something about what had just happened.

"So, was that a good thing or a bad thing?"

Vanessa didn't look at him, just kept staring at the door, the only time Bourne had ever walked out like that was when he was really upset with something.

"I am so getting fired."

Matthew just spun around, acknowledging her statement. "So it's a bad thing."

A/N

A/N

at least we're kinda getting somewhere now :/