𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟒: 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐢𝐬 𝐤𝐞𝐲

Unknown

An Hour Ago...

M.P.B: who is this?

The lady looked at her phone as she struggled to write a message back.

What am I supposed to say? "Hey Matthew, I'm actually 'undercover' doing things behind Bourne's back. Anyways, will you help me do some illegal work before we both get caught and fired from our jobs and potentially thrown into jail?"

She sighed, wondering how her plan would work. Bourne had already seen the message coming from the unknown phone number on both phones, she knew she had to work fast if she wanted those kids to come back to their homes.

She quietly tapped a message back trying to explain her plan, then quickly deleted it.

Maybe it's too early to tell him. We need to meet up somewhere else before I explain everything to him.

She typed a message, explaining to meet him at a local coffee shop where they would chat some more.

M.P.B: I don't understand, why there of all places? wouldn't people see us?

She stared at the phone, overthinking about the plan. She then shook her head and replyed back.

Unknown: to us, it'll be a secret exchange of information. to others, it'll look like a couple on a 'date'.

She cringed as she read the word date, although it was somewhat true. She smiled as the reply that came in a minute after pleased her.

M.P.B: alright... send me the location.

Perfect...

M.P.B: are you sure you want to meet up there? I can come to you, wouldn't that be easier?

No, you can't that'll blow everything.

Unknown: just meet me at the cafe in an hour.

It did cross her mind a couple of times how he would react when he found out who she really was.

Unknown: I'll be wearing all black ;)

~~~

Vanessa Vaughen

Present Time

Vanessa put the folders down on her desk. It was a blur by now. The only face she really recognized was Jorge Morano.

Why is he here?

Vanessa pulled out his file, she read the date in the corner. It was this morning that the document got printed.

He escaped prison. How? And why?

She logged into her desktop and researched the recent articles that came out only an hour ago.

Bourne's knock at the door interrupted her thoughts.

"You've been working for quite some time now and have that laser-focus look on your face again, did you recognize anyone?"

Vanessa leaned back in her chair, sighing. "Uh, yeah, I think, honestly it's all a blur."

Bourne leaned on the door frame, crossing his arms. "You think you can manage? You can take a break, y'know."

Vanessa nodded. "I'll be fine... I just wish we had the other half of our team here."

Bourne didn't say anything, he just changed the subject. "Who have you got so far?"