𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟎: 𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐬

Matthew Perry-Benson

Matthew laid awake that night, blinking up at the ceiling. He could only see the brightness from the city streets that were outside his window, the rest of the room was dark and silent.  Too many things have happened in the past hours, he was so sure at any minute he would drop dead.

Actually, he was afraid he would.

The doctors blamed it on an infection. But how did his wound get infected? He had been doing everything to extra measure in order to make sure he would heal up quickly. 

Aches of pain started up earlier that morning, but he just thought it was all in his head. He was tough, he had a mission to accomplish, he didn't have time to rest.

But how does an infection start up just like that?

He wasn't a doctor, he didn't know anything about anything medical-related, but they still kept him on the same prescription. 

It wasn't like anything poisoned him.

There are just some things that don't add up.

~~~

Vanessa Vaughen

Vanessa sat on the edge of her bed and looked up and out the window of her bedroom.

Her phone sat in her hands. It didn't ding, didn't vibrate, didn't make a sound. All day.

Worry was on the rise. Tears were already streaming down her cold cheeks.

Her best friend could be millions of miles away in danger, her boss is already dealing with a lot, her mother is probably asleep by now and Matthew should be resting.

Sometimes a job can get to the point of being too much, even for a tough person.

Especially for a tough person.

As she leaned back to flop on her bed, her eyes pointed up, her mind kept circling to the thoughts that had been haunting her for a long time.

Giselle... where are you?

What bothered Vanessa, even more, was that she couldn't even seem to figure out where Giselle or Charlie could be.

She just needed Giselle to hug her, tell her she was alright. She just needed to see her.

She felt alone again.

At least God's there for me, a small smile formed on her lips.

Tomorrow will be a new day. It may never be promised, but it's there.

Sometimes people need that extra glimpse of hope to look forward to. Especially when things seem to be messed up and going nowhere.

So tomorrow. A new day. A new chance. 

God is in that tomorrow. He already sees it. He already knows.

I put all of my trust, faith and hope in You. Only God alone knows and that's enough.

~~~

Charlie Huntington

"You're bleeding," Giselle was already so close to him.

He could feel her body heat radiating towards him. Her fingers were gentle but cold. She rolled up his sleeve slightly to check out his arms. 

He couldn't take his eyes off of her. 

He also couldn't speak... they punched him pretty hard in the jaw.