𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔𝟏: 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐢𝐞'𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧

Matthew Perry-Benson

A few months later...

"Are you ready for this?" Vanessa stood behind him.

Matthew inhaled trying to look past her and keep his head lifted. "Yeah, I think so."

"You think so?" She looked up at him, putting her hands on her hips. "You're not nervous are you?"

"Of course not," he tried to sound more confident than he actually was. He felt as if his heart was actually skipping a few beats.

"Okay," she smiled, more with her eyes than with her mouth.

Matthew looked at himself one more time in the mirror, figuring out if he should keep his jacket buttoned or open. He could see Vanessa in the background waiting for him.

He figured if he was going to be nervous he might as well get something off of his chest.

He spun around facing her in full. "Okay, open or closed?"

She turned her head and looked at him for a moment more. He got nervous at her just watching him. His eyes scanned her every move. His eyes fell easily to search out all of the details. Her crimson red gown and how it reached to the floor, her brown hair falling in spirals and curls down her back, the way her jewelry dangled. She looked exquisite.

"Maybe open? I think it's your tie that looks weird..." she stepped closer and started adjusting the leash hanging around his neck.

She was a lot closer to him, he could smell her perfume. 

When she finished fussing with his collar, she stepped back.

"Thank you."

"It looks good, very handsome," she lifted her hand and slightly pinched his cheek, scrunching her nose.

He caught her hand before she dropped it and lifted it giving a slight kiss on her knuckle. "And you look very beautiful."

When he looked back into her eyes he could tell her face looked more in shock at his embrace. 

They were interrupted by a knock on the office door. 

"All good in here?" Bourne entered looking quite striking in his own fancy suit.

"Yup, I think we're good to go," Matthew answered.

"Alright, well let's get this show on the road. Lots of folks wait to meet you two," his voice sounded urgent but his face brightened with a smile. He turned quickly and left.

"Are you sure you're ready?" Vanessa looked back at him.

"Born ready," he grinned.

"Alright, then let's go," she hadn't let go of his hand, but only entwined her own fingers with his, her grip tightening.

They made their way out of the room and back where the rest of the gala was being held.

~~~

Giselle Daniels

"I saw you and mister good-looking holding hands back there," Giselle came from behind over to Vanessa near a table with a mountain of foods on top.

Vanessa didn't look at her, but Giselle could tell she was smiling. "Yes, and?"

"And you know you don't have to pretend to be married anymore, right? You can cut the act," Giselle was only teasing but she wanted her friend to dish out whatever she had missed.