𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟐: 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐬

Vanessa Vaughen

Unknown: When you get this message, text me back. I think I have a lead to the Warner case

"That's the exact message I got too," Matthew pulled out his phone to show them. They were in Bourne's office with the door closed so they could have a more private discussion.

Vanessa sighed. Nothing made sense once again. 

Bourne shook his head. "They're trying to catch us in their trap."

"Warner?" Vanessa questioned, trying not to pace back and forth.

Bourne nodded. "Who else would it be? There is absolutely nobody else working on this mission but us, that means nobody else knows about it but us."

Vanessa sighed again. Matthew shifted uncomfortably in the chair, reaching over for his cup of water.

She looked at him from a distance. Glancing at his elbow as it glided over the arm rest and watching his hands grip the cup. He brought it closer to his mouth and took another sip. Vanessa's eyes became glued to his every move. She tried not to think about his lifeless machine movements she saw days ago at the hospital. She tried being grateful that he was still here.

"Everything alright?" Matthew was staring at her all confused.

She met his eyes with a numb expression. She didn't have to say anything, he already knew.

Apart from practically grieving that weeks that have gone by, Vanessa struggled deeply with the fact that she could have lost him. She didn't want to admit it, but she knew she had become attached to the person named Matthew Perry-Benson.

A shuffling of papers came from Bourne's desk as he seemed to push all of the folders to the side and uncover a bulliten board full of pins and pictures and string.

He carried the board from the Everest of folders to the wall where he replaced an old picture with it.

"Who?" He asked, taking a step back to view the whole board.

Vanessa looked at Bourne all confused, she could tell Matthew didn't know what he was talking about either.

"Who wrote those texts?" His eyes scanned every picture and document, seemingly searching for the answer.

"Wait a minute, who's that boy?" Matthew pointed from a chair to a picture of a kid they haven't seen before.

"Blake Farmer," Bourne replied.

"Who's he?" Matthew asked.

"A kid who has some sort of story connected to Warner."

"What's the story?"

"I don't know," he shrugged, "he only wanted to talk to Vanessa."

Vanessa's memories suddenly pulled up the email a police officer wrote her on the way back to New York. She wasn't sure how to respond with everything going on that she completely forgot about it.

"Where is he now?" Vanessa asked, hoping Bourne would catch on and set up that interview they might need.

"Police let him go."

"What? Why would they do that?"

"They can't just keep the child, he needed to return home."

"They still have contact with him, though, right?"

Boune returned to his desk chair. "They should."

"Okay, get him to come back or something, we need to get every ounce of that story."