𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔𝟐: 𝐟𝐚𝐮𝐥𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐥𝐚𝐰𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬

Matthew Perry-Benson

"Matt, come over here, I got some people who want to meet you," Bourne waved from a distance.

Matthew made his awkward entrance across the dining room they were in and made it over to Bourne who was standing with a couple of older gentlemen. 

"Matthew, this is Mr. McDugan and Mr. Hampton."

Matthew looked over and gave them a smile as they stretched their hands to exchange a handshake.

"They're old friends of mine," Bourne explained.

"Yeah, something like that," McDugan smiled.

"We used to work with your ol' pal here," Hampton nodded, Matthew lifted an eyebrow as a note of his curiosity, "how long has it been?"

"Over twenty years since you retired the first agent," McDugan tagged his arm.

"I knew you were old, but not that old," Matthew teased Bourne.

Bourne shook his head as his buddies joined along in making fun of him.

"Please, Bourne doesn't know what a vacation is," McDugan chuckled.

"Yeah, come to think of it, I don't think you've ever taken a day off in your whole career," Hampton added.

"Listen, I just take my job seriously, unlike you two," Bourne smirked.

"Hey, we were just trying to make the best out of every situation," McDugan shrugged innocently.

Matthew wondered what kinds of stories these guys could share with him. He had never heard Bourne ever mention his past work experience.

"You still working hard up there boss?" Hampton questioned.

Bourne nodded.

"Predictable," McDugan looked at Matthew with laughter in his eyes, "he still hammering the sky-high file cases on his desk."

"I'm pretty sure it's reached the ceiling by now," Matthew responded. 

"Well, things will surely slow down once this one steps in," Bourne grasped Matthew's shoulders as if showing him off.

"Ah, so this is the little minion you were telling us about," McDugan winked.

Hampton elbowed his arm. "Good for you, Matthew. It's time this agency has someone new step in."

"Oh yeah, but it's gonna be hard, you know. Bourne has been running it for a long time."

Matthew swallowed.

"That's why I'm going to teach him everything I know," Bourne gave them an assuring smile.

"I have no doubt it'll come with its challenges. But I think Bourne's gonna have a harder time with letting go than I will just be getting started," Matthew refrained from laughing until he caught Bourne's face. The two older men laughed.

"Yeah yeah alright, get it out now, soon you'll be paying."

Matthew watched as the three of them joked around and played with the idea of Bourne stepping down from the agency. Although Matthew laughed and even joked himself, he couldn't help but wonder if Bourne was feeling a bit uncomfortable. 

It still seemed very interesting how the three of them were acting as they had never been separated. Matthew knew he would have to talk to them, get their stories and advice. 

He couldn't wait for this new chapter in his life to start.

Vanessa Vaughen