𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟎: 𝐰𝐞'𝐫𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐨𝐤𝐚𝐲

Julia Welch

Carmen drove straight down the highway without any other thought. Julia started out the same window looking at the cars passing them by. She rested her head against the glass as the rain came pelting and blurring her view. She wanted to shut her eyes and fall asleep to the sound of splashing water droplets. The sun continued to dip in and out of clouds and Julia continued to watch as a rainbow would appear every now and then.

Suddenly she felt her stomach growl. The notion that she was hungry made her regret not going to check out breakfast with Carmen earlier that morning. Then she thought of the whole escape and what would have happened if she had seen Kevin earlier. 

The weight started to feel heavier and heavier.

A ding from the car rang from Carmen's seat. Jacob awoke bringing his head up and sitting straight.

"What does that mean?" He asked, looking over to see something.

Carmen shook his head. "No gas."

Julia sat straighter, trying to get into their conversation. "Where's the nearest gas station?"

Carmen sighed. "Next exit probably, but we're out of luck. No money."

Julia saw Jacob lean back and look back out the window. She could tell everything seemed to be getting more and more heavier for him too.

"So what do we do now?"

Carmen turned on the blinker and started to switch lanes as he headed towards the exit. 

"Any of you religious? We could start praying," he said flatly.

Julia sat back looking past the dark clouds as the car made its way up a ramp and onto a road.

Right, like 'God' would want to spare us now...

"What if they're still out there? Kevin and Warner and everyone. What happens if they catch us?" Although she couldn't see his face, Julia was sure that Jacob looked stressed.

Carmen didn't seem confident. "I'm sure that we'll be fine..."

"I don't want to go back," Julia inhaled a deep breath, trying to control her emotions.

Carmen sighed. "Let's just see if we can get some help from anybody, okay? We can't lose all hope just yet."

Julia wanted to believe him, but the depressing thoughts kept clouding over. She didn't feel like stopping them.

Carmen found a gas station not that far off of the highway, parking it near the convenience store.

"Anybody has some change at least?" He stopped the ignition and pulled out the keys.

Suddenly Julia perked up. She tried inching her hand into her pant pockets trying to find some change.

Jacob got out of the car and Carmen followed. Julia hopped out still digging in her pockets for anything as she followed them inside.

A ding overhead rang as the three walked in. Julia was too busy searching through her pockets to notice an employee staring down at her from the cashier counter.

"Julia, what are you doing?"

Julia looked up at the two boys that were standing looking at her all funny. Finally she found some change buried in one of the inside coat pockets of her jacket.

"Here, I don't know how much is left, but it's something," she tried smiling.

Carmen received the change and headed for the cashier counter. "Do you know where I could find a pay phone around here?"