𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟗: 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬

M. Bourne

"Make sure you stay here, alright?"

Matthew nodded, still looking somewhat pale.

Bourne motioned to Vanessa. "Keep an eye on him for now, will ya?"

She smiled teasingly. "Oh don't worry."

Matthew limped into his apartment and onto the couch. Bourne said his last goodbyes and headed out of the building.

He drove the way back to his building, pretty much exhausted. When he entered the building and up the elevator, he was ready to be greeted by the same smile he always saw. Except for this time, her face was solemn, looking down at a tablet and her eyebrows were pinched together.

"Everything alright, Darla?" Bourne passed by her, his nose attracting to the smell of caffeine not far from here.

She looked up at him, pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose. "No, sir, that communication breach between us and Charlie failed."

Bourne took off his jacket, giving it to her. They continued to walk down the hall as usual. When Bourne left, their team was trying to see if they could get into Charlie or Giselle's computers and figure out their location.

"What about Giselle?" He asked, partly checking out the desks laid out in the open office.

"Negative. They're all negative," she handed him the tablet for him to see himself.

He looked down, trying to figure out what she was showing him. He just nodded.

"Is there anything else we can try?"

She shook her head. "It's unfortunate, really. Our two strongest tech communicators would be able to look into this and they're Lord knows where."

Bourne scratched his jaw as they made it to his office. His heart ached as he saw the same pile still sitting on his desk. Maybe he could ask Darla to stay and help him, she was here more than him today.

Darla went quiet as she stood at the doorway as per usual. "Is there anything you need, sir?"

"A miracle. We need a miracle," he briefly looked up and then turned to see her face.

She gave him a warm smile, her head slightly tilting to the side. "And until then?"

He sighed. "Coffee. Black."

"I'm on it," she spun her heels and walked out of the office.

Bourne smirked. Some things never change.

He looked at the pile on his desk. His smile faded. And yet, nothing seems to be staying the same.

Bourne stood around his desk and got to sorting the papers. Multiple missions from the office kept collecting as the days went by. More and more information would come and go, be corrected and sent to him to be reviewed.

He grabbed a sheet and tried reading it, squinting as the tiny letters slowly started to reveal their meaning.

Darla came back with a mug of coffee in her hands and placed it on the little table beside the couch.

"Anything else while I'm still here?"

Bourne was still squinting at the words. "Do you plan on leaving now?" He reached over for a red pen and grabbed it, taking the lid off with his teeth.

She checked her wrist for her watch. "It's 11:00 already. I thought I'd head out by now."

"Mmhmm," Bourne circled and highlighted a few things on the sheet. He couldn't even remember what she had just said to him.