𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟑: 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐦𝐞

Blake Farmer

"Vanessa wants to meet with you."

"Vanessa Vaughen? The field agent you told me about?" Blake looked at Carmen as the lady on the phone started giving him updates on her side of their mission. Carmen shrugged back at him, folding his arms across his chest and leaning against the tall dresser.

"You need to come back to New York," she said.

"All of us?" Carmen asked.

"No, that's too risky. Warner's men might still be out there looking for you. If you all head to the airport at the same time, someone might even suspect you."

"Won't it be good if a cop suspects us? Won't they be able to help us?" Jacob butted in.

"Just do as I say and stay put. I promised you I'll get you out of there and you'll return home safely, but you have to trust me."

Blake shifted uncomfortably with the phone in his hand. He felt slightly light-headed and hungry. He didn't remember the last time he ate, they had no food here at the motel.

They all looked at each other one by one. Each of them didn't know what to say. At this point, the words "trust me" didn't really mean anything to them.

Carmen sighed. "How did you even get this information, how do you know that this agent wants to meet with Blake? How should we know whether we're really safe with you?"

"I- um," the lady seemed to pause, trying to grasp the right words, "I guess you could say me and Agent Vaughen are fairly... close."

Carmen raised an eyebrow. Jacob shook his head and Blake felt like sitting down. Julia looked at Carmen and seemed to nod and give a promising smile.

Carmen hesitated, he looked at Julia once more. "Fine. Just send me the right information to get Blake to the airport."

"Does he need any more medical help? I know the police officer said something about a doctor."

All eyes were on Blake as he tried to form the words.

He nodded at his new friends. "I'm fine. Just a bit tired and sore. I'm getting better, though."

"Good. Listen, I have to get back to work. I'll send you all of the information as soon as possible," she paused for a bit, some typing noises sounded in the back, "hey, and don't worry about a thing. Take care of yourselves, for the time being, I promise you everything will be fine. God's got this."

I'm not sure about that... but sure, whatever you say random lady we don't even know.

The woman said her goodbyes as she had other business to attend to. As for Blake, he went over to the tiny kitchenette and sat down at the little table.

"Hey, you sure you're okay?" Julia's kind voice came around and faced him.

"Yeah..." Blake closed his eyes, taking a deep breath.

"Do you want a banana?" She dug into a plastic bag on the small counter.

"Yes, please," he reached for the fruit in her hand, unpeeling as fast as he could.

She smiled and sat down across from him. The window curtains were still closed but the sun had managed to find a way to shine through and give an all-natural light to the small room.

"Are you sure your hand's okay? That's one nasty cut, dude," Carmen looked down at Jacob's wrapped palm.

"It's fine," Jacob muttered, "nothing anybody needs to be so worried about."