𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟗: 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐝-𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝

Charlie Huntington

"Is this the way to the airport?" Charlie whispered to Giselle.

They were sitting in the backseat of the Uber Bourne had apparently sent them. Something felt off, though. The driver hadn't said a word to them at all and Charlie was feeling strangely uncomfortable.

Giselle looked at him and shrugged. She hadn't said much either, all day she had been pretty quiet. Maybe it was all Charlie's imagination, but something was definitely going on.

Charlie and Giselle had driven around the small part of town they were in quite a few times already. He knew in order to get to the airport they had to take one of the main highways. What made him question everything was the fact that they weren't even on a highway, but on a side road in what seemed like the middle of nowhere.

He kept staring out the window, his chest feeling heavy as his heart seemed to pump faster by the minute.

Giselle must have noticed because she turned to face him. "You okay?"

Although his nod back to her seemed reassuring, his facial expressions seemed to betray him.

"Are you sure?" Her voice was gentle and didn't seem to help him right now.

Charlie took a deep breath, trying to calm his nerves. As he switched his view from Giselle to the window, he caught the driver's eyes in the rearview mirror. They were narrow and focused, but they held their gaze for a few seconds. The little staring contest started to freak Charlie out even more.

"Charlie? Your eyebrows are all furrowed, are you sure you're okay?" Giselle looked concerned, but her eyes seemed to smile.

"Giselle, I'm fine," he tried smiling. His eyes caught the drivers again.

She was looking out the window when they started to spot different town roads.

"Uh, sir, are you sure this is the right way to the airport?" Giselle asked this time.

The driver's eyes left the mirror, but some sort of smirk landed on his face and Charlie's heart started pounding even harder. 

"This is the right way," the driver's voice mumbled.

Giselle looked at Charlie, he saw the confusion on her face. She shook her head, trying to communicate with him.

"Uh, sir, could you pull over and tell us the right direction?" Charlie didn't know what else to say.

To his surprise, the driver pulled over but made sure the car doors were still locked. He pulled something out from under the seat and started shaking it. Charlie saw him take out a respiratory mask and pull it over his face.

Without hesitation, he started pulling on the door handle more aggressively. His mind started panicking.

"Listen, if we could just get redirected back to the-"

"Yeah, that's not going to happen," the driver's words were muffled. He turned in a quick motion and sprayed whatever was in that bottle into the air.

Charlie's thoughts seemed to stop, his heart seemed to slow down and he didn't feel nervous anymore. 

That's until he saw an unconscious Giselle collapse back into her seat. He tried reaching for her arm until his own eyesight started to fade away. His eyes closed shut and nothing but pitch black was all that took over.

Until he woke up tied to a steel chair in a concrete room.

"Giselle?"

~~~