𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟗: 𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐫'𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧

Charlie Huntington

Charlie laid on the hospital bed, his head faced the ceiling but his eyes were closed, his lips curved into a smile. All he could do was keep praising God for the miracles He did. Although his body was half broken and bruised, his soul felt renewed and complete. 

"I wish they served something other than chocolate pudding," her voice rang from the other side of the curtain. Charlie's eyes opened at the sound of her, he quickly sat up and shuffled out of the bed to open the curtain.

Giselle sat with her feet dangling off the side of her own bed. Her tray was placed on the table and a cup of opened pudding sat before her. She waved her spoon in the air.

"Did you get pudding?" She asked.

Charlie smiled. "No, I got jello."

Giselle's face dropped. "That's not fair. What kind?"

"The regular kind?"

Giselle shook her head looking sincerely disappointed, she hung her head in a silly way. "I don't like pudding."

Charlie kept smiling. He brought up a chair to be closer to her. He watched as she scrunched up her nose when she put her spoon into the pudding and hesitated to eat it.

When she finally did, her face relaxed. "Oh," she said, "it's actually not that bad."

Charlie couldn't contain his laughter. She looked at him puzzled with a smile plastered across her face. "What? Why are you laughing at me now?"

"Because you're ridiculous," he leaned back, taking a breath.

She shook her head still grinning as she continued to eat her pudding, her cheeks turned slightly pink.

"So how's your face?" He pointed to his own cheek to resemble what she had on her own.

The nasty scar had been sewn up and covered with a white bandage attached to Giselle's slim face. She had no casts from any broken bones, but a few infections. The doctors said most of the pain she was feeling was from lack of food and nutrients and her lungs had to be monitored because of the amount of smoke she had inhaled which had made her pass out.

"Eh, I'm alright," she kept looking at her pudding, "what about you?"

Charlie on the other hand had gone through worse. From his beatings he had started to internally bleed, and all of his cuts had also cost him a hefty amount of blood. The doctors didn't understand how he hadn't died in that building.

"God knew what He was doing," Charlie leaned forward.

"Yeah, I know, but that doesn't mean you just use that as your only excuse. You still have to take care of yourself."

Charlie playfully rolled his eyes. "Yeah, I know."

"So why are you not in that bed?"

He crossed his arms. "'Cause I don't wanna."

Giselle shook her head again, this time slightly laughing at him.

During their time together they talked, not about the big things that Charlie was nervous Giselle might bring up, but mostly about the things they weren't exactly part of anymore.

"I didn't know Bourne was even thinking of retiring, much less bringing Matthew in when he's gone."

Giselle nodded her head. "Yeah, it was rumoured for awhile I just didn't think anything of it I guess."

"Wait you knew this whole time?"

Giselle shook her head. "Yeah, somehow I got into the whole gossip circle of the agency."