𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖: 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡

Giselle Daniels

The van was quiet, except for the clicking of the mouse Charlie had under his right hand. He didn't speak a word after Vannie and Matt left, he just kept blinking at the screen in front of him with furrowed eyebrows and an intense stare.

Giselle looked over at him every once in a while, wondering when he'll move from his awkward situated spot on his chair. She was still trying to figure him out. 

What are his motives? What is he doing here? Why is he in such a mood today?

Suddenly the van shook and the side door opened, revealing Vanessa and Matthew.

"Hey, uh, how was it?" Giselle asked, being caught off guard. She checked the time: 12:02 pm.

"We think we saw two suspects, but rookie over here doesn't know for sure," Vanessa stepped into the van and dropped her jacket and purse.

"Hey, did we not just hear a sermon on how to love more?" Matthew stepped in behind her. He looked cold. Giselle just stared at the two of them, wondering what went on inside that church.

A small beep sound went off and a tiny light above them flashed.

Charlie's attention was immediately brought to the light and he took his headphones off, pointing to a system in the middle of the computer board.

"Looks like Bourne is calling us from the office, can you hit that button?"

Giselle hit the button, and Bourne's voice immediately entered through the speakers.

"Team, what's going on?"

"Mr. Bourne, we have a situation. The satellite is all mixed up and is glitching the system," Charlie answered with a much more serious tone.

"I understand, I have a team working on it right now. I'll notify you when it's fixed."

"Thank you, sir."

"Anything else, cadets?"

"Bourne, we think we saw two suspects. Have you found anything about Walter Warner and his gang?" Vanessa moved in to hear his response. There was a slight shift on the other end of the line.

"Two suspects... any evidence, Vans?"

"The pastor at the church announced that they were the two new guys that showed up just this morning."

"Bourne, I believe one of them goes by the name Blake Farmer, but I can't be sure," Matthew stepped in.

"Alright, I'll look into it. In fact, our team brought up one interesting fact. Walter Warner and his gang are named 'Night Enigma' and this isn't the first time the police have heard their names."

Giselle returned to her monitor and tried searching for the name. Nothing showed up, except for some local news reports from various states across America.

"Bourne, is there anything attached to what you found?" Vanessa's face was in her signature think-mode, Giselle could practically see the wheels spinning inside her head.

There was some chatter on Bourne's end of the line, it seemed that other people were talking to him. The voices stopped, and Bourne seemed to return his attention on the phone.

"Team, I got word that there are two trackers following this gang, both going in opposite directions. Warner definitely isn't alone. I need you to follow the tracker, we're sending data now."

"But Bourne-"

"It's best if you just drive down the states. So far it's too risky to take a plane, we still don't know where this gang is heading. I'll get the team to book your hotel rooms, and sorry for the mix-up, I guess you two are just going to have to deal with being a little closer together than you planned."