𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕: 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧

Walter Warner

"What do you mean the van isn't there anymore?" Warner looked at the two large guys standing in front of him.

"We got to the alley where the tracker was leading us, nothing was left, not even the body."

"That doesn't make sense. Didn't you hide the tracker where I told you to?"

"Boss, you hid the tracker, we didn't touch anything."

"Don't get smart with me, Kyle," Warner growled. He sat at his desk in a concrete room, his head started to pound, his arms started to feel achy.

"Nothing was left?" He asked, looking up at them. One guy held out his hand where a small object was revealed.

"Only the tracking device-"

"Impossible... how?!" Warner stood and snatched the broken tracker.

"I don't know boss, but that's not all that we found."

"What else did you find, then?" Warner sat back down, feeling more dizzy than achy this time.

"This note."

They slid a crumpled piece of paper across the desk. Warner grabbed it and unfolded it. Black ink and a bit of dried blood smudged some of the words.

Let the games begin, WW. 
- VV

"I should have known..."

Warner ripped the piece of paper into shreds. His heart started to thump faster and faster, he was overheating through his anger.

"Get Carmen. Meet me in the room with the others."

"Yes, boss," the men replied.

~~~

Julia Welch

"Ah, good, you're all still alive."

The same dark voice came prowling in the room once again. The four teenagers sat strapped to their chairs, unable to move.

"Julia, Jacob and Jorge, guess where you'll be headed by tomorrow?"

"Home?" Jorge squeaked from his corner of the room.

Warner's mean smile vanished. "No, and at this rate, Jorge, you're not going to see your home again."

Julia sat there in pain, more emotionally than physically this time, listening to the horror of his words. She had no more tears to cry out. All she had were her thoughts. Meaningless thoughts.

I'll never see my family again. I'll never see my friends again. I'll never be able to graduate school or fall in love. I'll never be able to achieve anything because I'll be stuck in this stupid, stupid room tied to this stupid, stupid chair.

"You get this job done, and I'll let you go."

"Isn't that what you said last time?" Jacob murmured.

"Don't go walking into areas you don't want to get trapped in, my boy."

Warner stepped through the room, he told his men to untie three of them.

"Carmen, get Julia for me, but be careful, she's weak."

The tall blonde headed over to her. She could feel the shaking in his hands. She wondered how someone so young could get involved with a group like this.

The ropes were loosened. Her wrists were bruised and the cuts from the rope burned. To her advantage, Carmen grabbed her by the forearms and pulled her up. His hands were cold, which made goosebumps scale through her. Unlike the other men that she saw grip the boy's arms, Carmen only supported her. It only made her mind start to question more than before.