𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏: 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦

Vanessa Vaughen

Bzzz... Bzzz... Bzzz...

The young woman groaned as her lengthy arm reached up from her warm covers and over to the irritating sound of her phone vibrating beside her bed.

Squinting from the rays that were peeking through the curtains, she quickly turned on her notifications and almost immediately her phone began to chime.

Two missed calls from Mama at 6:21 pm, one new text message from Gi-Gi at 7:08 am.

She opened the text and started blinking as her eyes slowly adjusted to the light.

Gi-Gi: boss has something new for us? did you hear about this??

Quickly sitting up, allowing the cool air to crash against her body, she read the message again, this time tapping on the screen for a reply.

Vans: no, why? is it bad?

She looked around her small room, squinting as the sun was still trying to blind her. She let herself stretch a bit before another text came in.

Gi-Gi: idk, no info was given. I'm just as nervous as you are.

Vans: who said I was nervous? I'm not nervous.

Gi-Gi: well you don't seem too happy about it.

She rolled her eyes even though nobody could see her. Quickly shooting a "cya later" and climbing out of her once toasty covers, the cold hardware floors sent goosebumps to the rest of her legs. After she brushed her teeth, stuck a comb through her hair and ate half a toasted bagel, she quickly jumped into her black monochromatic outfit and added some accessories for a little bling.

"Hey Siri," she spoke to her phone as she dabbed some of her new perfume on her wrist, "set a reminder to call Mama after work."

The little robot inside the glass box did its job, notifying the reminder would be set at 2 pm this afternoon. Taking one last glance in the mirror she pressed her lips together so the gloss would smooth over. She was still deciding on whether she should leave her hair up or down. Playing around with some brunette strands, another chime came into her phone and she realized the time.

Hair down... Ah, I don't have time for this, I'm going to be late.

~~~

"Goodmorning Vanessa, how are you?" 

"I'm doing just fine, Darla. How are you?"

The chatty desk assistant replied with the same routine script. She handed her a coffee cup filled with some sort of espresso. Taking it as usual and heading down the hallway, Vanessa put on her morning-friendly face. Waving to her co-workers and saying a bunch more hellos, she made it to her corner office and closed the glass door behind her.

Taking out her laptop and placing her file folder beside it, she opened it and checked her emails.

What was Giselle talking about? I didn't get anything...

"Good morning Vannessa!" As if right on time, the perky best friend entered the office with two yellow folders plus a struggling coffee cup in one hand and a laptop in the other.

"What were you texting me this morning? I didn't receive anything in my emails."

Giselle's face dropped as she stood in front of her friend's desk. She put down her coffee cup on the table and handed the 'too-busy-to-notice-you' brunette one of the folders.