Chapter 4

It has been three months since Faye showed up at her grandmother's house and started living with her. Faye soon realized her grandmother was like an egg, hard on the outside but very soft on the inside. During those 3 months, they both got closer and became quite fond of each other.

"Come on, grandma. I'm taking a gap year before going to college. You know how hard it was just to finish high school," Faye teases her upset grandmother.

"A gap year! No good," her grandmother said as her traditional parenting style appeared. "And also, hard? Don't play with me," she said with her pointer finger up. Faye broke into a smile and laughed at her grandmother's reaction, which was the correct response. During the first week of living with her grandmother, her grandma had placed her in a school nearby. However, Faye was a 30-year-old woman stuck in a 15-year-old body and did not want to waste her time going back to school to relearn everything again. So, she threw out all she learned in her previous life and succeeded at the very top, and graduated in a week to prove her "supposedly" intelligence.

"Okay, okay, I take back what I said about being hard, but I just want to take a break to know what I want to major in. Also, I want to help and spend time with you around the house," she said and smiled.

Her grandmother sighs before saying, "Fine, but don't lie to me and never go to college!"

"Yes, yes," Faye said cheekily and hid behind her grandmother's back.

Her grandmother sighs again and says, "What to do with you?"

She smiled before saying, "To love me." Her grandmother shook her head in response before turning around and kissing her forehead.

"My silly girl," her grandmother said.

"Ming, come on before I leave you," Faye said as she continued down their flower garden. "Mingy?" she called out again as a little golden pup popped up from the ground and hurried towards her. Yes, Faye had kept that little golden retriever and decided to name him Ming, which means shining bright as he was her light.

Faye was tending the roses by trimming dead or yellow leaves with a bypass pruner. Her grandmother had a small greenhouse connected to the house, as the greenhouse's door was connected to a walkway garden where Faye had planted all types of flowers. The walkway garden also includes a vegetable garden at the end, and after that, it was just a large, untouched field.

Faye had stopped to think about what she said to her grandmother as she remembered her past life. Her parents forced her to major in business and fashion during college, and she never got the chance to pursue her path. Her parents wanted her to know the business so she could know what to do in the company, and for fashion, they wanted her to try to be on the same level as Rin because Rin was pursuing fashion.

Ming did a tiny bark to stop her from remembering. She looked down and smiled before continuing pruning the flowers as Ming continued to follow her while sniffing the ground.

"Faye?" her grandmother called from afar.

She looked up and answered, "Yes?"

"Faye?" her grandmother called again.

"Yes, grandma? Where are you?" she called out loud and tried to follow the voice. Ming quickly bounces up and hurries after Faye. Faye finally slowed down once she found her grandma in the vegetable garden. "Grandma, didn't I tell you that I will get the tomatoes and sweet potatoes after pruning," she said and smiled.

"Well, I wanted to get a head start," she said, hustling as if she was exhausted.

Faye gave a quick laugh and stopped her grandma from digging up the sweet potatoes before taking charge. She was digging up the rest of the potatoes while her grandmother was looking at the massive land. An emotional smile appeared on her face before a long and low sigh came afterward.

"What's wrong, grandma?" Faye stopped what she was doing and looked at her sad grandmother.

"Oh nothing, just looking at this untouched land that looks so lonely," she answered.

Faye straightens up and looks at the massive land that had tall grasses up to her knee and wildflowers growing. "Who owns that land? The city?" Faye asks, thinking the city hasn't tended their land.

"Me," her grandmother answered softly.

"What...,' Faye said, bewildered. If her grandmother had sold this land, she would be a millionaire already, and her mother wouldn't have treated her grandmother like this.

"Right, I could be a millionaire by now. Your mother thought I wasn't rich, but I was rich in land," her grandmother said as if she read her mind. "But I couldn't. Your grandpa and I work so hard to own this land as ours. Did you know we used to plant tea here and sold them to earn money, but when your grandpa died, he always told me to stop when he passed away because he didn't want me to do this all by myself? But I didn't stop until I reached old age because we worked so hard for this. I couldn't just stop," she added.