Chapter 66

"I want you to leave my son. With your status, you are not fit with him. You are just an investment manager while he is a highly well-known president of a company," Leo's mother said as everyone settled. Leo's mother was sitting on the couch in the hospital room, while Janine and Ian were sitting on chairs by the hospital bed. Once Janine heard her words, she wanted to say something, but Faye looked at her to stop her from saying anything. "Are you able to handle the constant criticism and judgment of others? I think it's best for you to leave my son," Leo's mother said, getting up from the couch.

"What do you know-" Ian tried to say as Faye stopped him.

"I can understand your concern, but that won't change my mind since he was willing to die for me. It's not right for me to leave him," Faye said calmly, looking at her.

"You should think it over," Leo's mother said before leaving the room.

"What kind of nerve does she have to tell you to leave Leo?" Janine said, unbelievable. "Are we in some drama or movie?" Janine was baffled.

"Don't let that bother you, Faye," Ian said. Ian was also annoyed as he crossed his arms. Faye looked at those two with a smile since they were angry on her behalf, but she didn't mind Leo's mother. She didn't care if his mother didn't like her. She was too busy being worried about Leo's well-being since she couldn't visit him.

_____

It was late at night. Faye opened her eyes to see the lights were off as the hallway light was creeping through the cracks. She glanced around her as her eyes started to adjust to the dark. She could see Janine sleeping on the couch while Ian was sleeping on the sofa chair. She slowly got up without alerting them. She still felt a tingle on the back of her head, but it was bearable. She quietly moved the IV bag with her once she had gotten out of the hospital bed. She knows this is the only time she can visit Leo without them noticing. She slowly made her way out of the hospital room. Once she got out of the room, she quietly shut the door behind her before going to the front desk. She then asked a nurse where Leo was staying before the nurse directed her. She made her way there.

She opened the door before hearing the heart monitor beeping his heart rate. She started to feel her hand tremble in nervousness and started to hesitate to continue further as she was worried about what she might see. She composed her heart and continued in the room. The lights were off as well, but the lights close to his bed were still on. Once she reached the bed, she saw how he was still dead asleep. She noticed how pale his lips were and how white his face was. It was like he had escaped death, barely. She reached out to touch his pale face but stopped herself. She couldn't.

She quietly watched him in silence as the heart monitor continued to beep. Finally, she grabbed his semi-cold hand. She sat beside him on the hospital bed. She continued to look at his quiet sleeping face and tried to warm his hand. While she was holding his hand, she thought, if she knew that if she changed the past too much, he would be like this, then she wouldn't change it as much.... She knew that in her past life, he didn't have any misfortune, but only great success since he was constantly all over the media. If she knew that he would get some of her misfortune, then she would have endured it all by herself until everything was over before going back to him.... If that was even possible since she doesn't recall any interaction with him in the past life.... If it was not possible, then...
Tears were forming in her eyes.
It was okay... she was used to being alone... It would be okay if she didn't see his stupid coy smile, which he always gives her that makes her heart warm... It would also be okay if she didn't feel his clingy hugs and kisses, she thought before tears escaped her eyes and rolled down her cheeks.

"I have never been a crybaby before. You better wake up... You have to take responsibility for this. Didn't you say you will take responsibility," she said and clenched onto his hospital clothes. She softly hid her tears by looking down at his hospital shirt as she couldn't look at his face anymore.

"Who said... I wouldn't take responsibility?" a quiet voice cracked. She looked up to see his eyes open and a coy smile on his face.

A quiet, small cry came out of her mouth as she threw herself into him before bursting into tears. He gritted in pain before he continued to tease her, "Did you know the reason why I woke up was because I kept hearing someone crying like a baby," as he expected her to rebuke him and then pinch him in frustration. However, there was silence and no movement from her as her face was buried into his chest.

"Faye?" he said, worried. Lifting her face off his chest. His eyes widened in surprise before turning into pain. "Hey... I'm sorry. I'm fine," he comforted her, as he had never seen her cry before and to this extent. It was tearing his heart apart seeing her crying like this. He never thought she would ever make this kind of expression. Her eyes were bawling. Her tears were flowing down her cheeks. Her eyes and cheeks were bright red. He tried to wipe away the constant tears that were falling from her eyes.

"It's okay. I'm fine," he said again. He brushed her hair away from her face with her eyes tightly shut as she is crying. "See, look. I'm awake," he consoled her. He wiped her tears again with his thumb. She opened her puffy eyes and looked deep into his eyes as both of her hands still gripped onto his clothes.

"I-I really hate you," her voice broke as she buried her face back into his chest. He once again endured the throbbing pain in his back and wrapped his arms around her. He softly rubbed and patted her back to soothe her. She clenched his shirt tighter. He then kissed the top of her head and said, "I love you too. "