Chapter 61

"Hey, you. I'm sorry," Ian chased after her. She sped up her pace, and he continued to catch up. "Hey... you know it's not safe for a girl like you to be walking alone at night. Why won't you go home?" he said.

She finally stopped and faced him, "What you said was true. I'm a spoiled brat who has a brother complex," she said seriously. Her face showed great pain. "What's wrong with that?" she said before walking away again.

"Hey... I'm sorry... I-I," Ian tried to say but didn't know what to say. He scratched the back of his head as he felt bad about what he said and followed after her again. "Sorry, I shouldn't have said that. I, too, have a sister complex," he said, following after her.

Layla didn't stop until she reached a playground. She went to sit on the swings. Ian sat on the other swing and apologized again.

"I heard you the first time, so you can stop," she sighed before lightly swinging.

"So why don't you want to go home?" Ian asked.

"I-I was trying to get my brother's attention to me since I kind of annoyed him this morning, but I guess he's tired of this already," she said quietly.

"Sorry for asking, but why do you always want to get your brother's attention?" Ian asked.

"You said you have a sister complex. Why do you have a sister complex?" she asked him instead of answering.

Ian chuckled before saying, "Well, that's an easy answer. She's the only one I have left. Because of me, she had to work extra hard to provide for me and her. So, I feel that it's my job to repay her for all her hard work."

Layla chuckled sadly and said, "I guess we are kind of similar. I do have a mother and grandfather, but ever since I was a child. I never received any love from my parents or grandfather since they were always busy with work and never took care of me. I was thrown to the nanny to be raised. It was only my brother who took the time to spend time with me. It felt like he was the only one I had left. However, that didn't last long until he had to take over the company and no longer cared for me. Is it wrong for me to want some attention? See, like today, I was never taken to a playground and pushed by a parent." She slowly swung herself and looked up at the sky.

Ian quietly listened to her before saying, "Then this should motivate you to work hard and make your brother proud of you. And then, when you have the capability to help out, you can help ease the burden that your brother has like I am trying to do for my sister," Ian smiled at her. Layla's eyebrows raised in surprise as she didn't think it like that, and it made sense to do.

"I never thought it like that," she genuinely smiled. "Well, I think it's time for you to head home, so your parents and brother won't be worried about you," Ian said, getting up from the swing.

"My parent, worried about me?" she said, baffled.

Ian looked down at her and ruffled her head, "If they weren't worried, then why would they have bodyguards watching over you? It's nice to have parents worrying about you, unlike me, who doesn't have any parents anymore." She looked up and tried to say something but was interrupted by his phone.

"Hello," Ian answered. "Sorry, something came up. I'm coming now. Don't worry, I'm not making trouble. You know you are like a nagging mother," Ian said with a smile. Layla got up from the swing as Ian ended the call. "Sorry," he said to Layla.

"No, sorry for keeping you and making your sister worried about you," Layla said quietly.

"Don't worry about it. It's fine. You should go home now," he said.

"Yeah... I guess," she said softly. Ian ruffled her hair again and teased, "Hey, are you being a spoiled brat again."

"Hey, don't treat me like a kid," she swatted his hand. He chuckled," My bad."

"Layla, there you are. We have been looking everywhere for you. It's time to go home," the bodyguards finally found them. She tightened her lips before following them back.

_____

"I don't care how much it cost, I want her dead. I don't care what you do to her, just make sure she dies," Rin was on the phone with fingers tightly clenched in her palm.

"Don't worry, she will be a goner tomorrow," the person from the other line said.

"Good, the job must be finished before I send you the money," Rin said, hanging up. Rin was in her room with photos of Parker and her, all ripped or crumpled up.

"I'll visit you when you are in the grave," Rin said deadly and squished one of the photos in her hand.