Side Story: Ian's Long Love Part 1

It's been five years since they made their promise. At first, it started with them writing letters to each other, then going on to texting each other before calling or video calling. However, as life goes on. Each day got busier and busier to catch up, causing them to create a distance between them. Soon, their reply back to each other will take longer than expected.

_____

Ian had already finished college and was working on his first year as an engineer in a big company. Winter was already here, and there was no sign of her coming back.

Ian finished his shift for the day and was heading out. He was taking off the badge that was around his neck. The first thing he did was open the chat to see if she had replied to their last conversation.

He turned off his phone once he saw that she hadn't replied. He was about to step out the door.

"Hey, Ian! Do you want to join us? We're gonna get some drinks and possibly find some ladies tonight before the holiday," one of his co-workers said. Ian turned his head back to see a couple of his co-workers, looking at him while waiting for his answer.

"Nah, I'll pass. I have to get going. My sister is waiting for me," Ian said before saying goodbye to his co-workers and leaving them.

"Well, too bad," the one who asked Ian to join them said and shrugged his shoulders.

"Aww, it would be nice if he joined us. With his look, we will definitely find some ladies tonight," one of the guys said.

"Yeah, but I never saw him ever go. I think he just went that one time. I wonder why?" another one said.

"He probably has a girlfriend," one of them said.

"Really, I don't think so," another said.

"Well, whatever. Let's go," said one of them, and they all headed for the bar.

_____

"Ian, you're going to spend Christmas with us tomorrow, right?" Janine said, closing the shop with Vincent and Ian standing outside the shop waiting for her.

"I already told you last year that I'm not spending Christmas with you two. I don't like being the third wheel of your relationship," Ian said, crossing his arms.

"What? Come on. Do you want to spend Christmas alone?" Janine said, walking to them before interlocking her hand with Vincent.

"Yes, I'd rather be alone than watch you two being lovey-dovey," Ian said, looking at them holding hands.

"What do you mean? Just watch, you will be more lovey-dovey than me when you get a girl," Janine said.

"Ha," Ian said. "Only if she comes back..," he muttered to himself, glancing at his phone to see no notification before leading the way.

_____

The next day, Christmas Day was here, and everyone was spending time with their loved ones or hurrying to their loved ones. "Here is your gift," Ian gave his sister the small present he got for her. She accepted the gift and thanked him before giving his gift to him. Vincent also presented a gift to him. "Thank you. Sorry, I didn't get you anything," Ian said.

"It's fine," Vincent said.

"Ian, are you sure you don't want to spend Christmas with us?" Janine said many times.

"Nah, I'm good. I'm heading out now. Have fun, you two," Ian said, leaving Janine and Vincent's apartment.

Ian breathed in the cold air once he was outside in the dark. There were Christmas lights everywhere, and many people were outside with their loved ones. Ian shoved his hands into his pocket and saw his own breath before walking back to his apartment.

"Do you hear they are lighting up the big water fountain in the park? They said that you can wish for anything you want, and it will come true. Do you want to go see it?" a person said to their loved one while they were passing him.

Ian stopped and thought he knew that it was a silly thing but.... His legs took him to the park along with many other people heading in that direction.

Ian entered the park. In the middle of the park, the fountain was all lit up and looking beautiful. Tons of people were already there with their loved ones watching the fountain and tossing coins to make a wish. Ian walked forward before rummaging in his pocket for a coin. He stood one foot away from the fountain before flipping the coin into the water.

"You better hurry up and show up. I'm tired of waiting for you," he said under his breath. He turned to leave, but his legs stopped moving once he saw a familiar face. She looked stunning and mature but still looked like the spoiled brat he knew, as her cheeks were red from the cold. "You know I waited for five years now. What took you so long," Ian said with a smile.