Chapter 71

Both Leo and Faye were inside the car as he was driving to his family's house. A while ago, Leo's mother called him, telling him that she wanted to talk to him and Faye.

"Do you know what your mother wants to talk about?" Faye asked.

"I don't have a clue," he said with his eyes on the road. Once they stopped at a red light, he glanced at her and said, "You met her, didn't you?"

"I guess you really can see through me," she said, not hiding it.

"What did she say to you?" he asked. "To leave you because our status doesn't match, and she asked me if I could handle it," she said.

He sighed before saying, "did she?"

"Yeah...," she glanced at him to see his expression. His expression showed that he was not close to his mother.

"As you can tell, I'm not close to my mother. Both of my parents were arranged married for business, so they didn't have any affection for each other. Growing up, I was raised by the nanny as my parents and grandfather were busy with work, but it didn't matter to me. I was fine being alone. However, when my father died I was forced to run the company. You probably already know about this, but for some reason, after my father passed, my mother went on a shopping spree as if it was a coping mechanism which I found to be surprising since I didn't think they loved each other... But, even so, she continued to not bother with me or my sister. I barely heard anything from her. But now I find it funny that she cares who I want to date when she didn't care about me before," Leo said, continuing to drive. Her eyes softened as she looked at him and thought he didn't have a good life as well. She touched his hand and said, "Don't worry. I won't leave you." He smiled and held her hand tightly.

Once they arrived at Leo's family house, they all sat in the living room. They were silent for a while before Leo's mother spoke, "I saw the news."

Leo interrupted her, "Yeah, now she matches my status. You are okay with her. Is that what you wanted to say?"

Leo's mother went quiet before saying, "Yes, you are right. That's what I wanted to say. I just know how high-class society is and how judgmental they are. I didn't want you or your lover to face any difficulties. I have dealt with their constant criticism and didn't want you to experience it. I know I don't have the right to control you since I wasn't really there for you, but you are still my son that I gave birth to, and I do care about you even though I don't show up... I am happy to hear the great news. I hope you two find true happiness. I know that you think I don't know love and I didn't love your father, but I did in a way. So, I am happy that you met your lover in a different way than I did." Even though she was able to express her words today, it only brought her a millimeter closer to Leo.

_____

Before Faye and Leo were about to enter the car and leave Leo's family house, a voice came shouting after them, "Brother. Brother!" Layla came running after them as soon as she found out that Leo was back home. Leo stopped entering the car while Faye turned her head to see Layla painting once she reached them.

"Brother," she said, trying to catch her breath. "I wanted to tell you that I made it to the University of Oxford, and once I come back, I will help ease your burden in the company," she said brightly as she had changed into a whole new person. Leo smiled as he remembered his small, little sister who would follow him around everywhere until he had to work at the age of 15 and had to leave his 6-year-old sister behind.

"I'm proud of you. I'll be waiting," he said, seeing how she finally grew up and was no longer a spoiled brat.

"Yes," Layla cried in tears of joy once she heard her brother was proud of her. Her heart felt great warmth. "Take care of my brother," she looked at Faye.

"I will," Faye answered back.