1. Amy Jacob

🌺
I am proud of the woman I am today because I went through one heck of a time becoming her.
🌺

Jan 2019
Amy's POV

Freedom—the one word that almost perfectly describes my current state of life.

My life in the past few years had been a crazy rollercoaster ride, and during the ride, I threw up a few times too. But now I was out of the ride and feeling the one thing which I always wanted to feel to the fullest—freedom. I walked out of my toxic and loveless arranged marriage of almost three years, and life had never been better.

It was Sunday and almost noon, but I still didn't feel like moving an inch out of bed. I switched on the Wi-Fi and immediately the useless and usual daily horoscope email and job site email notifications popped up along with the hideous Facebook memories and other unwanted, meaningless stuff.

As I aimlessly scrolled through my Facebook and Twitter feeds which were almost fully filled up with my favorite k-pop and k-drama actors' fan accounts, I performed my daily ritual of giving a heart to all the posts that came up in my feed.

Watching Korean dramas and listening to k-pop was something that I started off almost one year before I got married. All of the content was originally intended to be a distraction from my stressful life, but eventually it is what has made me what I am now.

My standards had gotten way higher, and I was filled with positivity, fully realizing the importance of loving myself and putting myself first and ready to pluck out any weeds that threatened to ruin my happiness. Getting a divorce was one such weeding done successfully.

I was unhappy with my previous job, so I quit that and moved into a small apartment in a new locality. It had been three months since I moved in, and although I loved my profession, the workplace was troubling me. So I had to let it go.

I was peaceful, free, and to an extent content with my life. But being alone in your thirties hit hard, since almost every acquaintance from school would probably be married or starting a family by then. The loneliness was terrifying at times, and although I usually never gave a damn about social rules and taboos, sometimes, being all by myself made me feel a tiny bit depressed.

As I was lost in thought about my directionless and currently quite pathetic life, my phone rang and ended my pity party. I grabbed it and saw that the call was from my girl bestie, my soul sister, Jay. She and I studied in the same school and even lived close by, but we were never too close back then.

She's thirty, just as old as me and unmarried. I envied her sometimes for being wise enough not to get married. She was the only one who called me these days, and, oh, how did we get so close suddenly? It was because we both were die-hard k-drama fans! Our shared love for Korean dramas and k-pop brought us closer, and now we were besties like never before.

I picked up the call after a few rings.
"Morning!"

"Morning, babe! I can't believe it. I'm still so surprised and shocked. I have great news, and I want to share it with you first," Jay squealed excitedly.

Good news?? Is this girl gonna get married and dump me?

"Can't wait to hear it... Quick, quick, tell me what it is," I responded hastily.

"Guess..." I could almost see her smirking devilishly.

"You're getting married and dumping me?" I blurted that out faster than I expected and immediately facepalmed myself.

"Bahahaha!! You idiot... that's not it," she wheezed.

"Ah, then what is it? Did you win something in a giveaway?" I was coming up with all random things which could potentially make one of us so happy.