59. Ultrasound

🌺
The wings on your back will be admired by the same people who condemned you for flying.
🌺

Amy's POV

Taehyung and I reached the hospital, and we both had our masks on, not that anyone would recognize me, but Tae insisted that I wear it to stay safe and not get any infections.

We were guided to the gynec floor, and though extremely popular among Seoulites, the place seemed relatively empty.

"There aren't many patients here today. Is it because it's Sunday?" I prodded him curiously as we walked down an almost empty hallway.

"They close the consultation at 5 pm every day. I got a special slot for us," Tae spoke in a low voice and smiled with his eyes, and I nodded, smiling.

Impressive

I was taken to the treatment room to get my height, weight, blood pressure and other details. The nurse gave me a pregnancy test stick that I had to dip in my pee, and I got two bright purple lines, which meant a positive pregnancy. The nurse took the test strip from me and said that they would give it back later.

Tae was waiting outside the treatment room, and we were allowed into the doctor's consulting room without any delay. The gynecologist was a senior Korean lady doctor, Dr. Kang. She appeared to be very warm, kind and approachable.

"Please be seated," she told us, pointing to the seats across the table from her and smiling at us with a small bow of her head.

We took our seats and took off our masks.

"Congratulations to both of you. Is this your first pregnancy?" She asked us.

"Thank you," we smiled and bowed.

"Yes, doctor. It is our first pregnancy," I said.

"What is your last period date?"

"June 2nd," I replied as though on cue since I had spent some time earlier to figure out exactly when I started my last period, which usually arrived on the dot every month.

Dr. Kang flipped her calendar and calculated quickly.

"Okay," she nodded. "Can we do an ultrasound to check on the baby now?" She asked us, and we okayed it with enthusiastic nods.

"You can stay too," the doctor told looking at Taehyung.

"Okay," he smiled brightly.

The nurse took me first to the examination table and closed the curtain. I was told to remove my underwear and lie down on the examination table. The nurse helped me take off my panty and lie down with a pillow under my butt while Taehyung waited outside on the other side of the curtain.

"Why take off the underwear?" I asked the nurse in a low voice.

"Since it's the first trimester, your scan will be a transvaginal one because there won't be enough water in the uterus to do an abdomen scan," the nurse replied with a polite smile as she covered my exposed lower half with a white sheet.

Wait, what? What the hell is that?

"Uh? What does that mean?" I asked a bit nervously, worrying if it was something too invasive.

The nurse showed me a probe that looked like a thin penis, that seemed to be looking at me mockingly. It had a condom on it - the one thing we always forgot to use.

At least not when it actually mattered.

"This will be used for the scan," she said and smiled before returning the probe to its place.