I'm Best | Ns.R

Requested by khakifatema , I hope you like it~

You still remembered the day the teacher had announced your new seats, how you had been forced to sit beside Nishimura Riki, or Niki as most called him. The awkward air had immediately surrounded you two as you had walked to your seats, not even sending the other a glance.

Both of you found this extremely awkward and all of a sudden hated your teacher's idea of mixing up the class and making sure everyone could talk to everyone. You and Niki had never spoken and you were just fine with that, so was he. 

You didn't see anything special about him and he didn't see anythnig special about you. You were classmates not in the need to get to know the other more.

The whole day had been an awfully awkward mess for you two, all up until lunch break when you had gotten up from your seat to go down and get lunch. Glancing back at Niki as you realized he didn't move an inch from where his head laid in his arms, you knew he was awake, he was muttering something to himself, seemingly deep in dialogue about whatever thing he was muttering about.

"You're not going for lunch?" you questioned him in confusion making him glance towards you with a tired look before slowly shaking his head.

A frown staying on your face you decided to go down and get some lunch for yourself, stopping halfway on your way back to the classroom. You could at least get some snack for Niki, he would need some sort of food to get through the day somehow.

You sighed before going to the nearest vending machine and getting a fishbread for the boy, who still sat in the very same position once you returned to the classroom.

"Here," you spoke, catching Niki's attention as his eyes immediately went to look at the fishbread in your hand before he looked up at you in confusion, "you need to eat something... just accept it."

Still looking at you weirdly Niki slowly grabbed the fishbread before glancing back up at you. A small 'thank you' escaping his lips as he carefully opened the wrapper.

From then on it seemed like a small competition broke out between the two of you, and maybe you actually were the one who initiated it. The day after the fishbread incident Niki had offered to buy you a strawberry milk, despite you insisting it wasn't needed, he did it nonetheless. 

He did clarify it was for good measures, so that you both were even in the kind gesture to one another. From then on you had decided you were going to be the one of you two that was the kindest to him. Offering to go get him fishbread in the lunch breaks, then he would carry your bag for you in the hallways, so you offered him to copy your notes in the classes you had noticed he wasn't paying attention, then he retaliated with going out and getting your favorite snack from your favorite bakery one morning before school, actually causing for him to show up to school late.

So now you sat there, in your seat, impatiently tapping your pen in a rhythmical manner. Only one thought was going through your head. 

I need to be better.

A small laugh ripped you out of your train of thought as Niki sat down beside you and tapped your temple with his finger, a wide grin plastered on his face.

"So what's in that empty head of yours?" he questioned in a teasing manner. Anothnig thing you two had developed along with your gestures towards one another. Endless teasing.

"How do you suppose I can be better?" you questioned making him let out a small laugh.

"Since when are you better at anything?" he questioned in amusement as you simply sent him a glare, "no tell me, what is it?"

"I just want to be better," you shrugged, not admitting that you actually wanted to do a kind gesture to him.

"But at what?" he questioned with a smirk on his face as you glanced at him and just shook your head before your maths teacher walked into the classroom, "ugh, somebody murder me," Niki immediately groaned and slammed his head down onto the table. He sure hated your maths teacher, one thing you had noticed from the very start.

"Then let's get out," you offered as you realized that this might just be the best idea you could've gotten to make him happy.

"You... you ask me to dump class?" he questioned and you just nodded, "let's go."

Never before had you seen Niki grab his things so fast as you did the same, both getting up from your seats and walked to the door before your teacher had cleared his throat.

"And where do you think you're going?" your teacher spoke as you looked to Niki who just shrugged like you.

"Didn't feel like it today, I'm afraid," you excused and pushed Niki out of the door before slamming it behind you.

Once on the other side of the door Niki immediately bent over in laughter, not believing you just spoke like that to a teacher.

"Shut up, now come on," you complained at him and grabbed his wrist before hurrying down the hallway, with him rushing behind you.

"I can't believe you just said that!" he called out to you as a small laugh escaped your lips, "what are we gonna do?"

"Well... what do you want to?" you questioned as you stopped in the exit from your school.

"The fair," he answered within a heartbeat and you grinned widely.

"Just what I was thinking," you nodded in agreement.

Niki let out a bright laugh before pulling you out with him and running in the direction of the local fair. Both of you wearing bright and happy smiles on your faces.