Seventh Year part 5

''Well, hello there. Were you listening to our conversation just now?'' a black haired man asked as soon as Yuri stepped out in front of the pillar he had been hiding behind.

The man was leaning against another pillar, opposite of Yuri's. He was wearing all black clothes. Blue eyes were intensely staring at Yuri. The man was most likely in his twenties, but his monotone expression made him look older than he was.

Yuri knew he was in big trouble. He could feel his heart beating like crazy, making it difficult to concentrate. After what he had just heard, the man wouldn't let him leave for sure. Through his panic, Yuri tried to think of the best options to escape. Should he scream? Take out his wand and try to attack?

''What's your name boy?'' the man asked, completely calm, as if Yuri didn't just hear him talk about kidnapping students.

''Why would I tell you? Maybe you should tell me who you are first? Not a student or teacher for sure,'' Yuri replied smirking, trying to seem cool. He hid his hand behind his back. If the man saw how much they were shaking, he would know Yuri was afraid.

''Who I am? Boy, I am the one who asks the questions,'' the man's calm expression changed to a slightly annoyed one for a second. Then his face returned to its expressionless and clam self.

Not knowing what to say to win some more time, Yuri decided to answer. There must be something he could do to get out of this situation, he was sure of it. He just needed more time. ''Yuri Nikiforov.''

''Nikiforov? I suppose that's not your real name, is it? He is quite famous. Viktor Nikiforov, that is. Everyone knows him. How could anyone not know him? Viktor Nikiforov, leader of the auror department. Managing such a position after the huge scandal he had, that's seriously impressive. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the scandal was about his marriage to a muggle man, thus I assume you are not his biological child,'' the man rambled. Yuri could swear he saw his eyes sparked in excitement, though his facial expression was still as cool as ice.

At least the rambling gave Yuri time to think for a bit. Why did evil guys enjoy hearing themselves talk so much? Yuri was just about to say something to gain more time, when the man spoke up again, ''What a pity, I really enjoyed our conversation, but it is time for me to leave.''

Thick, black smoke enveloped the man. When it faded, he was gone without a trace. Only seconds later Otabek rounded the corner, running. ''Are you alright? What happened?''

Yuri felt immensely relieved at the sight of Otabek. Now that he was out of danger, the full impact of the shock hit him. His legs felt like jelly and he had to lean against the pillar for support.

''Yura? What's going on?'' Otabek slowly closed the distance between them, cupping Yuri's face with his hands. ''Come on, talk to me. Your face is as pale as snow and you are shaking.''

Yuri leaned into Otabek, saying nothing. He wasn't sure if he could form a sentence at the moment. Rather than talking, he wanted to be enveloped by Otabek's calming smell and strong hands to make him feel secure. The only word that came out of his mouth was, ''How?''

''How did I know something was wrong?'' Otabek guessed, feeling Yuri nod against his chest, ''The matching rings we wear. It changed into a pitch black and scarlet colour. I trusted it and my instinct that you needed help. A simple tracking spell was all it took afterwards.''

Yuri was excused from his classes for the rest of the day and the next day. After recovering from his shock, he was interrogated by Victor and Adeline in the headmaster's office. Magnus and Otabek, standing behind the couch the aurors sat on, listened to his every word.

Otabek seemed increasingly worried when Yuri brought up Ela. After Yuri had repeated his story at least four times, Victor turned to Otabek, ''Were any of your family members Death Eaters?''