Fourth Year part 9

Yuri woke up and walked down into the community room. "Happy Birthday" someone called and that was when Yuri remembered it was his fourteenth birthday. The first birthday he would spend without Otabek since the two of them met. That made him sad already.

"Yuri is there something on your mind?" Ash asked worried. Yuri was depending on him a lot in the past month. He and Eiji had helped him to get over Otabek a bit. It was still hard for Yuri not to think about Otabek though.

"No I'm fine" the younger sighted.

"You're thinking about him, aren't you?"  Ash questioned and the look on Yuri's face told him everything "You shouldn't.  Oh and Eiji, Minami and I have planned something for you so let's go".

All in one the day was fun. The guys from the project threw him a birthday party at Hagrid's. But something was missing and that something was Otabek. More than ever Yuri missed him and he was all that Yuri could think about. "I think I'll go now. Thanks for everything guys" Yuri said and forced a smile.

"Do you want us to accompany you?" Eiji asked and passed Yuri his jacket.

"No I'll be fine" the boy answered and walked away. He started running without knowing the direction and when he stopped he was standing under the tree. That one tree under which he had spent so much time with Otabek and his other friends. Tears started to drop and soon Yuri was curled up under the tree and crying.

"You shouldn't be crying on your birthday" a voice said. Even without looking Yuri knew who it was.

"Can we talk?" the other person asked. They got no response from Yuri and continued talking "You don't have to answer but please let me explain myself. I know I hurt you but it was never my intention. I didn't know how you felt towards me and I acted stupid".

Yuri looked up tears rolling down his cheeks "Sit down and talk Otabek".

Otabek did as he was told and sat down next to Yuri. Of course he kept distance between them because he knew that Yuri wouldn't want him to be too close to him "I said that it was a joke because I thought you wouldn't feel the same way I do. I love you Yuri and I have loved you for years. I am terribly sorry that I said it was a joke and I want you to know that I don't think that your feeling are a joke. I don't think you are a joke and if we could be friends again, I would be so happy. Please Yuri be my friend".

"'Friends" Yuri laughed "Yeah friends because that's what we are. Even after telling me this all you want is being my friend".

"Yuri I-" Before Otabek could finish Yuri interrupted him "I don't want to be your friend".

"In that case I won't bother you again" now Otabek had tears rolling down his cheeks too.

"You still don't understand? I want to be more than friends" Yuri exclaimed and stood up. He wanted to walk away but felt that someting was holding him back.

"If this is really what you want I would be happy to be your-" Otabek took a deep breath "your boyfriend".

Yuri didn't say anyting more. He hugged Otabek and started crying again but this time it were happy tears.

After that he was happy again. Yuri started talking to people outside the beast project again and smiled more often.

"You've been smiling a lot lately. Have you talked to Otabek?" Ash asked and grabbed another bucket with fish for Shorter.

"Oh yeah we solved this problem and-" Yuri paused. Both of them haven't talked about telling others about their relationship.

"And what? Ash give me one of those. You can't carry three heavy buckets" Eiji said.

"Yuri come on. Tell us what happened" Minami squeaked and continued separating the different fish breeds into the buckeds so that every dragon could get the right fish.

"We are" Yuri stopped and thought about how to say it "We are friends again".

"Yeah we all know that there is more. So spit it out right now" Ash said and starred at Yuri who was starting to feel uncomfortable.

"Maybe we are boyfriends now" Yuri said quietly and blushed.

"Awwww I am so happy for you" Minami squealed and jumped onto Yuri.

"I should talk to him" Ash said and got some angry gazes from Eiji who was the only one that heard what Ash said because Minami was still happily jumping onto Yuri and squeaking "What?"

"If you threat him or something you will get into trouble. I know that Yuri is like a little brother for you but let them be" Eiji said.

But not only Yuri couldn't keep quit. Right after Otabek returned to his room JJ confronted him "Looks like you're in a good mood. What happened?"

"Nothing what are you talking about" Otabek said and walked to his bed. He lay down and looked towards JJ who was still looking at him.

"No something obviously happened. You have been kind of gloomy since that incident with Yuri but-" JJ stopped and smirked "you've talked to him right?"

"Yeah I wished him a happy birthday" the Kazakh explained.

"Continue. We both know that there is more" JJ sat up on his bed before walking over to Otabek's.

"Go back to your bed, there is nothing else to talk about" Otabek replied.

"Do you really think that you can lie to me. We both know that I can read you very well. You were my first friend here and I know everything about you even things that you don't tell me. So what else happened?" the Canadian asked.

"I explained him that what I said was not how I really think and then we became friends again" Otabek said.

"Yeah like I would believe you that you are only friends after finding out that you liked each other for years" the other said while raising a brow.

"Yuri kind of mentioned that he didn't want me to be just a friend and I was happy about it so we might be boyfriends now" Otabek said and turned away from JJ.

"You definitely are boyfriends now" the Canadian giggled "Oh and I'll be going now"

"Where?" the other wanted to know.

"Isabella and I wanted to talk and eat some sweets and maybe you know" JJ smirked.

"Whatever good luck with your date" Otabek said before grabbing a book and opening it.