Seventh Year part 7

''That's it,'' Victor mumbled, turning everyone's attention to him. They were sitting in the headmaster's office, going through all the evidence. ''We're out of leads. There is no way to find Yuri or any of the other victims.''

He had told Yuuri about their son's kidnapping and felt like he was losing his mind. If there was anything he could do to find Yuri, no matter what, he'd do it. Yuuri had reacted the way Victor had imagined him to react. At first, he was very quiet, too quiet, thinking Victor was joking. This couldn't have happened to their boy, right?

Next, his anger boiled up. He started yelling and blaming Victor for a while. Once he was done with the yelling, came the apologies. He had not meant to blame Victor and of course, it wasn't his husband's fault. He knew that. After the apologies, he cried. A lot. Seeing Yuuri cry shattered Victor's heart every time.

Victor had spent at least a good hour comforting him, tucked him in to bed with Makkachin, and then left to continue the investigation in hopes of finding any leads.

''We can't give up yet'' Otabek replied quietly. Telling his parents about Ela hadn't been easy for him either. After all, she was the baby of the family, the family member everyone wanted to protect the most. All of this was especially agonizing for Otabek, who had lost his sister and his boyfriend on the same day. As if that wasn't bad enough, he couldn't get over the self-hatred that resulted from blaming himself.

''Then tell me what to do. If you have any kind of plan, go ahead, tell us all about it'' Victor demanded, almost yelling. He was desperate, terrified and losing all of his remaining self-control.

The room fell into a heavy silence. Otabek didn't have a plan, nor did anyone else. Victor knew that. He let his head rest in his hands, closing his eyes for a moment. Anger wouldn't help him find Yuri and there was nothing more important to him at the moment than finding him.

The silence went on for what felt like forever. No one had anything relevant to add to the investigation. There was no point in speaking.

A soft knock sounded from somewhere above them. It was so faint that Otabek thought he imagined it. But then it was there again. ''Do you hear that?'' the Kazakh asked.

''Hear what? I know you're feeling miserable, but is it already so bad that you're losing your mind? Are you hallucinating?'' Magnus replied as he obsessively reread reports. It wasn't that he tried to be mean. He was just as equally exhausted as the others, which made him impatient and stressed.

''No, I'm certain there was a sound. Listen,'' Otabek demanded, shutting up the other apprentice with a hand movement before he could give another comment.

Everyone listened, but there was no sound. Just as Magnus opened his mouth, it resounded again. ''Huh, so there really is a sound. Guess you're not insane. I think it's coming from the window up there,'' Magnus said, pointing to a window.

A large grey bird was sitting on the windowsill, staring into the room with its head turned to one side.

''Should I try to scare him away? We need real clues and not some birds interrupting our investigation'' Magnus asked irritated. There was a broom, which he could use to chase it away. On second thought, the bird might be too big for the broom.

''No!'' Victor and Otabek almost screamed at the same time, making Magnus jump in surprise.

''What if the bird is the clue?'' Otabek proposed, walking to the window slowly. He didn't want to scare the animal away. ''I know it's wishful thinking and maybe even a bit crazy, but what if it will help us find Yuri. I remember seeing this bird in one of his books. It's an Augurey, a magical beast and not a regular bird.''