Wattpad Original
There are 40 more free parts

story

noun ~ an account of past events in someone's life

Voices were the first thing I heard when I woke next. My brain felt foggy so I took my time to wake up.

"I told you to not come here."

It was Phoenix. His voice was a harsh whisper across the room.

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay." A voice whined.

Jade.

I felt my body freeze from waking up, choosing to keep my eyes closed. Why was she here? Her attention to my mate infuriated me.

"I am fine, it's none of your concern."

"Well, when I heard you were in the hospital for so long I had to come to see you." I could practically hear her pout. "What's going on? I can smell the Omega all over here."

He growled and I heard footsteps shuffle. I peeked an eye open in curiosity just as my room's door shut. I was surprised to see Phoenix had dragged her inside, his hand on her neck pinning her to the wall. His face was inches from her and she stared up at him wide-eyed.

"How many times do I need to put you in your place?" He growled. "First you ruin her dinner, then you directly insult her and me and question why she is even here. If it wasn't for Charlie that day I would've intervened and you wouldn't like what I had planned."

"B-bu-bu-"

He growled, flexing his fingers around her throat. "I will not tolerate that kind of behaviour or abuse in this pack. Try me again and that's strike three and you'll have me to deal with. It seems the punishment last time wasn't good enough for you the next will be banishment. She already beat you in training so I do not understand why you feel the need to push it. The sooner you find your mate the better it will be."

She whimpered and they stood in silence. My gaze was transfixed, wide-eyed as I stared at them. I hadn't moved, fearful of the outcome. All the times I thought he wasn't going to defend me, it turns out he was defending me without realising. This man was more a mystery than I thought.

He released her and she stumbled to her feet, eyes staring at the floor. He grabbed the door handle and opened it slightly which made her follow the action.

"Why do you care so much about her? ...Why is she even here?" She hesitated, avoiding his gaze.

"Jade." He growled, hand pinching between his eyes. "Get out."

She bowed her head and scurried through the door. It closed with a rather large smack that had me jumping in fright. The room was tense but when his hazel eyes turned to me they lost the harsh glare.

"Sorry I woke you." He smiled, approaching my bed. "How are you feeling?"

I licked my lips, observing the room. It was daytime now and I noticed one of the cannulas had been removed leaving a pink mark behind. I just had one left now, which lead to an IV bag.

"Better." I nodded.

He smiled in return, his hand coming to grab mine. Against my own submission, I moved my hand away. His smile dropped and he sighed when he realised I didn't want him to touch me. The awkward tension rose again, and I avoided his gaze.

"Can I get you anything? Hungry yet?" He asked.

"I could eat something." I shrugged.

It was true. Although I had a couple of drips in me, the thought of food sounded great. I hadn't eaten in days. Plus I knew I wouldn't be leaving here until I ate something.