Wattpad Original
There are 88 more free parts

fall

verb ~ lose one's balance and topple over

NOVA

A week had passed, and I had thankfully avoided conflict. Today was a cleaning day and so I got busy cleaning the vast majority of hallways and rooms in my designated area. Which is the alpha and the beta rooms, as well as all the main offices downstairs.

Today, I could hear shouting and doors slamming from Steven's office. He came storming out into the hallway not long after and barely glanced at me. I watched him go into the forest through the foyer window, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Not long after, Sophie came out after him, her eyes wild with anger.

Oh, no. Bad timing to be here, Nova.

Marching my way, her hand came flying to my hair, and she pushed me against the wall, her canines extended. I shrunk away from the sight of her wolf, completely at a loss for her reaction. Her free hand quickly slapped me across the face so hard and unexpected that I bit down on my lip and the metallic warmth of blood filled my mouth.

"It's all your fault!" She shrieked.

I expected something else, but she quickly dismissed me with a growl and chased after Steven in her stupid high heels.

I spat out the blood and slumped to the floor. I was just mopping! What have I done? I took a moment to gather my thoughts and understand what had just occurred.

My answer; no clue.

There were sounds of footsteps scuffling, and I looked up to see everyone running down the stairs and halls, wiping hands on their aprons and fixing their hair.

Another downside to not shifting was not being able to mind link my fellow pack mates. I could only assume the word was out for a meeting or something had actually happened since everyone was going towards the grand hall.

I cursed, not having time to sort my face out, but got up and followed a group of people, wiping at the blood that dripped down my cheek. The grand hall was bright and was the only place where we could all fit. Luckily, I got there just in time. Most wolves already stood facing a podium where both alpha men stood.

Alpha Steven was the one who was talking tonight. I noticed he was doing a lot more instead of his father, Damien. No doubt he would be in complete control soon. Rosie had already left to live with her mate in his pack, so the family numbers were dwindling.

"Thank you for coming when I know so many of you are busy." The room was hushed to silence. "I received a phone call with the orders from the king."

Murmurs sounded across the room, and people jostled nervously. I huddled into myself at the back of the crowd, glad for the cover from the people in front.

"The King is sending one of his main packs and their alpha to do a welfare check on us!" He cleared his throat to quieten the room. "And it is the Alpha of the Blood Moon pack."

People murmured amongst the crowd, but I frowned in confusion. This pack obviously created uncertainty within them, but the name sparked a memory of the alpha pair muttering to each other last week.

I was blissfully unaware of why it was such a bad thing, so made a note in my mind to ask mother later. This was the second time I heard Steven talk about them. This was the pack that was at the party, yet I didn't sense an alpha as strong as that there.

Wiping my mouth with my sleeve, I grimaced at the blood. I really liked this jumper...

Glancing up, I saw Steven surveying the room as people voiced their opinions at once. His gaze met mine from way across the room and I sucked in my lips before dropping my head so my hair would cover my face. I felt weirdly... guilty.