Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

serve

verb ~ perform duties or services for another person

I woke to someone gently shaking me and calling my name. I groaned and rolled over, which in turn caused said person to climb from the comfort of the bed, the mattress dipping as they left. I kept slightly awake as they shuffled around the room. I was too tired to open my mouth and question what was going on, deciding on just falling back asleep.

Once again, however, I was woken. "Nova."

I muttered a go-away and pulled the duvet tighter around me. Whoever it was laughed as I tried to lull myself back into the peace of sleep.

"Nova, I know you can hear me." Phoenix chuckled. "I woke you so you didn't wonder where I am when you wake. I have to go speak to the King, I won't be long. I will come to get you at lunchtime."

Too many words rambled through my ears so I gave him a quiet grunt and listened as he left the room, the door locking with a gentle click. I sighed, happy to no longer be disturbed and fell back asleep.

***

I woke to the sounds of metal clattering against each other.

With a small sigh, I began to roll myself over in the direction of the noise. I was surprised to see Phoenix at the door, holding it as a small maid carted a trolley through. She left it at the foot of the bed before turning and bowing, leaving the room. Phoenix caught my sleepy gaze and gave me a small smile.

"Morning Nova." He spoke softly.

I pulled myself to a sitting position, feeling my shoulder ache. I looked down at it to see it had pretty much closed now, and the stitches would be ready to be taken out. I could only assume my neck was in the same condition.

I gave Phoenix a small smile, crossing my legs. "What time is it?"

"Two o'clock in the afternoon. I had food brought to our room so you could sleep longer." He smiled, uncovering trays of steaming food.

I eyed the dishes hungrily, seeing one full of potatoes and green vegetables and another with a whole roasted chicken. There was a boat of gravy and what looked like a glass of iced orange juice. Phoenix noticed my line of sight and chuckled before grabbing the iced glass. He brought it round to my side of the bed and handed me it gently. I took it greedily, my parched throat eager to have its fix, even if it was orange juice.

I watched him make a plate of food as I took a large gulp. Downing half the juice, I placed the glass on my bedside and watched him curiously.

"Have you eaten? Has everyone else been attended to?" I wondered.

He nodded his head and concentrated as he poured gravy onto the dish. "I ate with the warriors and the saved. They all had good appetites and appear to be a lot more relaxed. They have been given medication to heal and we are figuring out an antidote; Raven is helping conjure one. We can go visit them later, but I am afraid after you've eaten and gotten ready we have to speak with the King and Queen."

I frowned, "What for?"

He walked around towards me, pulling a lap tray out from under the bed. I expected him to place it on my lap but he put it at the foot of the bed. I paused in my movements to grab it, wondering what was going on. Was this not my food?

Phoenix pulled himself to sit in front of me, one of his long legs hanging over the edge of the bed. He grabbed the tray and placed it on his own lap, his other hand setting the hot plate on top. He pulled the cutlery out from underneath and unwrapped the napkin that secured him.

"They wish to meet my mate. I told them you were to rest and heal before undergoing such torture." He shrugged, cutting up a large potato.

"You said that?" I wondered, with wide eyes.