Wattpad Original
There are 85 more free parts

shift

verb ~ to move or change

NOVA

The first thing that came to my senses was hushed voices.

"She's stirring."

Next came my feeling. The itchiness of the ground irritated my skin, sharp on my bare skin.

Grass. It was grass.

My brain felt fuzzy, but I could smell the flowers and the trees surrounding me. Next came the smell of sweat and the metallic hint of blood. My nose twitched in disgust, but soon the most delicious smell overwhelmed me and the fog lifted.

What was that?

It smelt musky, yet... peppery, almost.

Something whimpered in my mind that had me freeze from trying to move my body. Ok... Now, what was that?

'Hello, Nova.' It whispered.

What... Who...

I couldn't think straight. There was a feminine voice in my brain, and it wasn't mine. This time, it articulated.

'I'll start with the basics.' It cooed. 'You have shifted, and I am your wolf.'

I gasped. Sh-shifted? I thought I couldn't-

'That is for another time. I have been awakened because we have found our mate.'

Mate?

'Yes, the alpha.'

Alpha Phoenix?

'Yes, he is your mate.'

A hand on my side had me jolting upright. I wobbly landed on four paws with a growl. A growl? Wait- FOUR LEGS? WHA-

Oh, wait, wolf. Right, got it.

I shook my body, my wolf joining me in mind to help me get my bearings. I was on four legs, and I was smaller than normal. My usual five-three height had dropped to only four-feet tall. Glancing down at my fee-paws, I saw black fur coating my ankles. Flexing my toes, I found sharp claws covered by fluffy, soft fur.

My eyes widened, and I looked up to find worried glances from a group of people. I landed on Steven first, who had his arms crossed with a smile on his face.

"Nova, you've shifted." He stated.

I almost snorted at his comment, but shook my wolf's head instead.

'Can you hear me, Nova?' His voice came from inside my head.

I panicked, realising I did not know how to block people out. My heart raced, and I stepped backwards in alarm. This wasn't right, this was a dream... I was a non-shifter...

I was becoming overwhelmed and felt the panic settle in.

'Build a wall, Nova. Wrap your mind in comfort where only you have the key.' He spoke.

I calmed my mind for a moment and closed my eyes with a deep inhale. I envisioned a warm, fluffy blanket securing me, keeping me snug and safe. Hearing my wolf snort, I threw in a chain and padlock too, just to spite her.

Her attention, however, was demanding me to look elsewhere. My eyes opened and immediately fell upon a six-foot-something towering shadow with glimmering hazel eyes. My world seemed to fade away, and all I heard was the rapid beating of my heart and the blood rushing through my ears. I felt like I was looking at him for the first time.

I watched as his pupils dilated until they were nothing but an abyss. I felt myself falling into it, his smell pulling me into the deep end, unforgiving yet gentle in its caress. It closed around me and filled my head with goo. My heart raced, and my mouth was as dry as a scorching desert.