Wattpad Original
There are 82 more free parts

forest

noun ~ a large area covered with trees or undergrowth

NOVA

The next morning, I felt groggy. My nerves kept me awake most of the night and the aching in my bones returned over the little sleep I had. I could not sleep since the ride here. A nagging in my mind kept me from drifting. I could not get comfy and the bags under my eyes were showing it.

I was on the field waiting for Sean. The crisp morning air and the dew on the grass made me smile. I always enjoyed my early morning starts. The peace and the singing of the birds always made me feel content.

I wore leggings, trainers that actually fit, and a sports bra underneath a baggy tee. I was ready for this. Sean came out in shorts and a tank a moment later, giving me a small smile. The intimidation was still strong, but he seemed calmer.

He approached me, and I had to crane my neck to greet him. Greeting me, he punched his own palm with a sly grin.

"You ready?"

I shook my head, which caused him to chuckle. "Come on, let's stretch and go for a run first. One mile."

I sighed and stretched with him before we headed off into the tree line. We kept a leisurely pace, jogging through the beauty of the trees. We passed by a clearing with a lake, a deer drinking from its water. I was awestruck by the beauty. Seeing all of this made me stagger to a stop because I was never allowed out much at my old pack.

Sean noticed I stopped straight away and jogged over to me. "What is it?"

"It's amazing." I breathed.

Purple and white flowers lined the ground, trees in full bloom as the morning sun cascaded through their branches. Rabbits, squirrels, birds, and deer all scurried along, hiding in the long grass.

"You're acting as if you've never seen a forest before." He chuckled.

I turned to look at him as he studied the meadow as much as I did. "I've not. N-n-Not like this."

His eyebrow quirked as he gazed down at me. "Why not?"

I chewed my lip, not feeling comfortable with the large man just yet.

He took my silence as an answer and brushed it off. "Come on, we still got half a mile left."

I grumbled in defeat and gave the meadow one last longing look as we ran away.

***

I had trained with Sean for another five days now. Five brutal days, three hours a day of exhaustion.

After we ran, we did some circuits. Planking, star jumps, squatting, lunges... It felt like extreme yoga if I'm being honest. Each set lasted forever, and he made me do three of them. Then after circuits, he was teaching me self defence. I was exhausted. I couldn't wait until breakfast so I could have a drink and a nap.

"Nova!" He snapped.

My eyes darted over to him, sweat dripping from my face in my eye, so I attempted to wipe it away, but my hands were just as sweaty through the bandage.

"Focus!" He growled.

I wanted to growl back, but I knew my place and right now he was in charge. I dodged his punches, but I was tiring. I have never worked out so much before. If I did, I used to get scrutinised. I had no stamina and no strength, so when his fist connected softly with my jaw, I let myself flop to the ground.

I was on my butt, folded over my thighs as I tried to steady my breathing.

"Come on, Nova." He sighed. "You gotta concentrate."