Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

tension

noun ~ a mental or emotional strain

I stepped inside alongside Phoenix and thanked the gentleman for allowing us entrance. He smiled gratefully down at me but avoided eye contact with Phoenix. I looked around to find the King and Queen sat in two large armchairs, both a deep red and made from what appeared to be velvet. A glass table sat in front of them, piled with some papers and a book. The room was small, not quite an office, but more like a quiet study room. Opposite the two armchairs was a velvet black sofa, big enough for three average size wolves.

The wall behind the royals was filled with tall windows, the frames gleaming white against the contrast of the green grass outside. Bookcases lined the right wall, filled with hardback copies of wonderful places. Opposite the bookcases was a large mural of the world map which upon closer inspection of narrowed eyes, looked hand painted. The Kingdom there was the centre of the map, painted a golden colour, the front of the castle the obvious landmark.

"Ah, come in! Please sit!" The Queen grinned, not standing from her seat.

Phoenix's hand had moved from my own to the small of my back and he pushed me alongside him. I wasn't sure if I was to bow but when he gave a gentle bend of his neck, I copied his gesture.

"We have many things to discuss," Phoenix stated.

"We do." The King hummed, eyeing me as I sat. "Start with the girl."

Phoenix grumbled, and I frowned at being spoken of so lowly. "Nova is my mate."

"Yes, that may be true, but you marked her without the King's challenge. How do you know she is worthy enough to sire your line, to run your pack?"

"She was made for me. Moon Goddess does not make mistakes." Phoenix huffed, his knee brushing against mine.

The King waved his hand and I noticed the Queen had a small grimace on her face.

"She obviously does." He laughed, "Reine here is not my true mate and yet she has given me a strong bloodline and looks after me well."

Was strong offspring all he cared about?

"The last I spoke to you, son, you did not disagree."

I frowned at Phoenix this time, wondering what he was implying. Did Phoenix truly agree with the taking a stronger mate thing?

Phoenix shook his head, his hands clenching together as he leaned forwards. "That was before I met her, that was three years ago."

The King smirked, glancing at me with amusement. "And this small little thing, changes all that does she?"

Can't I just tell him I was a Lycan? I asked through the bond, getting irritated.

Phoenix replied instantly, looking at me with a stern expression. 'I don't trust him with that information yet.'

He didn't trust him?

My frown turned into a look of understanding as I eyed the couple before me. He didn't trust them and despite Phoenix tending to keep information to himself, I knew he would only be doing it for a reason. So I trusted him.

The Queen seemed just as confused and upset at being spoken of but she held it well under a faux smile.

"She is made for me, Uncle, she is mine." Phoenix huffed. "I want no other."

The King laughed out loud, the Queen looking at him in surprise. I couldn't help but feel a warmth settle in my chest at his declaration. This man was doing this to me.

"We have laws, and rules, son, you cannot go against them!" He scoffed. "I will not have my blood tainted by weaklings such as her. She cannot even heal herself like a normal wolf! She is small and does not look strong enough to harbour so many pups."