Wattpad Original
There are 89 more free parts

champagne

noun ~ a white sparkling wine, usually drank at special functions

NOVA

I woke up to my alarm and dragged myself into the shower. Today was Rosie's birthday party and wolves from all over the world would be visiting. There were mainly males, as it allowed them to find their mates; many hoping that alpha blood was theirs.

I dried myself with my towel and pushed my damp hair so it flowed down my back. I passed a mirror on my way to the toilet and grimaced at what I saw.

My eye had swelled, and a burning hot pain seared through my jaw. Small and large scratches lined my arms and chest, my jumper torn and ragged on my shoulders. This was one of the worse ones they had given me. Sophie never touched me. It would hurt her precious luna reputation if she did. But her friends seemed to relish in the blood lust. Their wolves enjoyed taking the frustration out on me. I was an easy target; if I fought back, my repercussions would be worse than theirs.

I had ten minutes to cover up the black eye I was sporting and the various pink lines on my face. The make-up did its trick, a habitually patterned effort for bruises. They usually avoided my face in fear of being caught, but many times, their wolf reacted instead. I was lucky to even have some make-up thanks to my mum.

At five-thirty sharp, I bust my ass in the kitchen to prepare breakfast. Today we had to not only make breakfast and lunch but also prep food for tonight's party. Also, make sure glasses are polished and ice is ready for the alcohol buckets.

Thankfully, that side of the party was the bar preparation tasks. I was just on kitchen duty as per normal and may be on server duty. Alpha often placed me in hospitality; carrying glasses of champagne. Thankfully, most wolves went to the bar for the harder drinks, liking vodka or whiskey, so I was usually not busy.

Breakfast came and went and we prepared a large feast of salads, pasta, loaded fries, chicken and sausages for lunch. My mum was the head chef today, so it was easy. The kitchen had a multitude of ovens, grills and hobs to keep up with demand, so it was no surprise there were twelve of us in here. I was mainly on meat prep, something to keep my fingers busy and keep my head down.

Throughout the day, I felt my eye pulsing and a headache growing, knowing it was more than likely because of the trauma. And the fact I refused to eat during the day... But that kept me away from other wolves.

After dinner, we cleaned. I was sweating profusely as my hands cleared the scraps from the plates and I knew my make-up was smearing. When I touched my skin, it covered my fingers in glittery colours. I would have to paint it on again once I was done. In the meantime, most people ignored me as I cleaned and I used my hair as a curtain.

Thankfully, the dinner service was over and it was just a case of unloading the dishwashers in an hour. It was four o'clock, and the party started at six-thirty. Right now, I had an hour to redo my face and get my bearings before I had to help unload the dishwasher.

Locking my bedroom door behind me, I sighed in satisfaction. Safe.

Making my way to my en-suite shower room, I turned on the water from the two taps. I was ready for a long sleep. The pain in my head was throbbing, but I had no time for that. I downed a couple of painkillers and washed my face. No point in having a shower when I've got to go back to the kitchen.

After fifteen minutes, I finished re-applying my make-up and smiled in satisfaction. I put on some pale eyeshadow this time, knowing I wouldn't have a moment later before the party.

Just as I was about to go back to the kitchen, there was a rapid knock on my door. Pausing, I chewed on my lip again.

"W-who is it?" I asked.