Chapter 11 Well that happened, part 57

(Abby’s POV)

I walked slowly up the driveway. My heart was beating loudly against my chest. Why was I so scared of doing this?

As I reached the door, my hands began to sweat and shake and I had the sudden eager to run away. “Oh come on, Abby! It’s only Brad” I thought to myself. I took a deep breath and lifted my hand, pressing down on the door bell. I heard it go off inside the house, but there were no footsteps. “Maybe he isn’t home. Great. The one chance to make this right and-“I began to think, but I was brought back to reality when I heard the sound of keys. Then the door being unlocked. And, finally, it was opened. I stopped myself from gasping by putting a hand over my mouth. There, stood in front of me, was Brad. But it wasn’t the Bradley I knew, he was wearing worn out clothes and his hair was a mess. The friendly eyes which were normally filled with the excitement and wonder of a child, were now empty and dull like a black hole.

“You shouldn’t be here” he finally said, but not in the way I thought he would. It was in a sort of… protective way, like he was scared that I would get hurt. “Yes, I should” I insisted, stepping forward. He didn’t shut the door in my face like I thought he would, instead he just sighed and, to my surprise, stepped to the side to let me in. I looked at him weirdly and slowly stepping inside. As soon as I passed the door he slammed it shut, making me jump in fright “sorry” he muttered, then passed me and walked into him living room. He sat down on the sofa casually and I leaned against the door frame, crossing my arms, eyeing him up and down. He was just on his phone as if I wasn’t even there “your unbelievable, you know that?” I rolled my eyes at him, getting really annoyed “excuse me?” he asked, turning to face me. I walked over to him and snatched his phone off of him “you heard me. We need to talk, and you don’t need to be distracted by this” I snapped. I felt like his mum! “Give it back Abby! I’ll listen, just give it back” he tried to grab it, but I quickly moved my hand away and put it in my back pocket. “No. I’ll keep it until we’re done.” I said sternly, he groaned “fine” he grumbled. I sat down next to him and we both looked each other in the eye.