Home

Shane groaned, his boredom taking over. He turned lazily to look at his best friend of uncountable years, Ricky. It had been years since anything interesting happened, and this dull period had no signs of stopping. 

"What is it, Tiny?" Ricky asked, already knowing the answer. Tiny was one of his many sarcastic nicknames used for Shane. Shane simply responded with another groan, leaning back on his hands. They were at a cliff on the northern side of hell, it overlooked a small city filled with mundane activity. Everything lately seemed like it was just going through the motions. A slight breeze blew through Shane's jet black hair, a familiar feeling. They had been coming here since they were kids and the habit never really died out. 

"I want to do something," Shane said, looking around for anything that could even lightly entertain him. All there was were huge canyon walls, colored blood red. He heard screams in the distance that had become white noise over the years. 

"Like what?" Ricky asked, knowing neither of them had an answer. They sat in comfortable silence, their close relationship allowing it not to be weird. They knew each other more than knew themselves. They would sometimes even talk at the same time. It was just further evidence that Shane was becoming predictable, a thought that he hated. 

"I'm going to go up to the overworld," He said right as the thought came to him. Ricky turned to him, his deep black eyes going wide. Shane smiled to himself, the element of surprise giving him a rush. 

"Your joking" Ricky said, knowing full-well that Shane would do it. It wasn't exactly against the rules to go there, it was so uncommon. It was dangerous up there, with humans armed with holy water, salt, and all of their other demon killers. 

Shane shook his head, a smile now playing at his lips. He had already made his mind up.

-Time Skip-

"You have to promise to be careful," Ricky said sternly, helping Shane pack a small bag. He didn't like showing that he worried about Shane, mostly due to his high ranking in hell. There were 10 levels, each getting more powerful as the list went on. Ricky sat at a comfortable level 8, which meant he defiantly a force to be reckoned with. A demon like that in the overworld could cause plagues, earthquakes, wars. They didn't do that all that often, as there were already plenty of people in hell. 

Shane was a 9, and a very feared one.

Demons could rise in ranks, but it was infinitely difficult. Most were born as a certain number and never went any higher, and those who have risen only go up by 1 at most. It was a difficult but fair system.

"I promise," Shane said, accompanied by an eye roll. It was adorable how worried Ricky got, but sometimes it felt overbearing. They had been friends since they were born, they grew up together, they trained together, and now they worked together. Shane had fallen into a comfortable rhythm, which he hated. Going to the overworld was the only way he could spice up his life a little bit. 

"Ready?" Ricky asked, secretly hoping Shane would chicken out at the last moment. Of course, Ricky would've made fun of him endlessly, but at least Shane would've been safe. 

"More than ever!" Shane answered, beaming. He stood in front of an endless bridge that leads to the human world. It was overgrown with plants and left in ruins. No one used it anymore, not unless they had a death wish. This didn't bother Shane in the slightest.

Ricky hugged one last time, and held on for a few seconds, fearing this would be the last time. And just like that, Shane was off. Ricky felt a pain in his heart, and his mind was running through endless horrific scenarios. 

Shane emerged in a bathroom, staring at himself in a mirror. Mirrors were portals, and they were the most common median for traveling. He had done a little bit of research into who's place he ended up in. It was a man named Ryan, who just moved in. He chose this human mostly because he reminded Shane of Ricky, but only a little bit. 

Other than that information, he was completely in the dark about who this Ryan character was. Shane had a few backups just in case this human refused the deal. However, he had a hunch that everything would be fine.