Awkward Silence

They stood outside Rose's apartment, still completely silent. Shane's mind was running rapidly but had no direction. Ricky was nervously biting the inside of his cheeks, it was a habit he had developed over the past month due to stress. Ryan hung onto Shane's arm as if to anchor him, fearing if he let go Shane might be gone forever. 

"Why are you still here?" the man from earlier had returned with what seemed to be newfound confidence. He kept about 30 feet away from them, but at least he was now airing out his grievances to their faces instead of shouting them from a window. 

Most ghosts silently hated demons from afar which minimized conflict. That's why ghosts tended to congregate in large numbers on the outskirts of town, they could stay far away from demons. If there was an attack, there were enough of them to handle the threat. 

"We're leaving" Shane said simply, leading Ryan to the car with Ricky trailing close behind. None of them had the patience to deal with this man right now. 

"Hey! I'm talking to you assholes!" He yelled again. He bent down to pick up a rock and hurled it as hard as he could, aiming right for Ryan. Shane's reflexes kicked in and his arm flew up to catch the stone. Ryan screwed his eye shut and tensed ever so slightly, but slowly peeled open his eyes. Shane was staring at the man with pure rage, barely able to contain himself. He tossed the rock to the side and returned his hand to Ryan's shoulder.

"Ricky, you handle this" He spat out. Ricky nodded and understood just what Shane was getting at. If Shane dealt with the situation, he would be able to control himself. Ryan was visibly shaking as Shane ushered him to the car. 

"Gladly," Ricky said with a sickening smile. He had a lot of things bubbling over and this was the perfect outlet to let some of those emotions go. He rolled his shoulders and cracked his neck, using the visual of Shane comforting Ryan as fuel to his strength. 

The ghost didn't back down at first, but it was evident he regretted his decision. Dozens of eyes were on them, but Ricky didn't mind them. In fact, having an audience was thrilling. With Shane and Ryan gone, he didn't have to hold back. He knew he couldn't kill this man, but he could have a little bit of fun.

"I kinda feel bad for you" Ricky said, slowly but confidently approaching the man. He stumbled back a little, not expecting Ricky to actually start approaching him. He started to turn to run, but Ricky caught the collar of his shirt and yanked him back, forcing the man to face him. 

He slammed the man onto the ground, immediately feeling the stress of the day melting away. The man grunted and become panicked as he fully realized the severity of the situation. His shift in demeanor only made Ricky more excited for the fight. Ricky stepped on the man's chest with a surprising amount of force and stared down at the pitiful man. 

He smiled, his face contorting the man's worst nightmares.

Back in the car, Shane and Ryan sat on opposite sides in the back seat, the tension building up with every second. Shane couldn't think about what his decision would be right now, especially not when there were so many things he had to say to Ryan. This was unfair, he shouldn't have to make a decision like this. He just wanted to stay with Ryan and Ricky, was that really too much to ask for? 

Shane had to look past his naivety and see the truth of the situation. Even in a perfect world, he would still have to make that choice one day. Ricky simply would allow for Shane to devote himself to Ryan, not without a fight. It was an ugly truth that he had been burying deep within himself since the first time he realized he loved Ryan. 

"Are you ok?" He asked as an attempt to reach out. Ryan simply nodded while looking out that window at the raindrops. The storm was calming down, but not completely gone yet. Ryan had his knees tucked into his chest, still shaking a little from the encounter with the ghost.