Tense

"You should really start locking your doors" Ricky said, materializing behind them. Ryan nearly jumped out of his skin, but Shane stood stone-faced. He had small horns but no wings could be seen. His eyes were almost fully black to match his hair. Now that he had a better look, Ryan noticed that he and Ricky looked pretty similar. Granted, Ricky had a mustache and was taller. He still paled in comparison to Shane. Ryan was holding onto Shane's arm before Ricky showed up, but he quickly let go. It was a movement that was subtle enough that Shane didn't notice. 

"You're late" Shane teased as he turned to face Ricky. It was immediately evident how comfortable the two were around each other. Ryan stuffed the jealously down, remembering his mission was to make Ricky like him. 

"Come on, Tiny" Ricky said, leading them toward the door. Shane noticed that he made no reference to Ryan, but brushed it off for the time being. Ricky was stubborn, but he had to trust that he would come around. 

Ryan attempted a greeting but Ricky acted like he didn't hear anything. Shane offered no more explanation for his friends' behavior beyond a shrug. Shane really wanted them to get along but that was next to impossible. Ricky really didn't like anyone other than Shane. He tolerated a few people, but he was never the one to go out of his way to make an effort in those relationships. 

Ricky was leading, Shane and Ryan falling a bit behind. He walked with the determination of someone who was running away from something but his pace was slow enough not to make his desperation exceedingly obvious. 

"Tiny?" Ryan asked jokingly, his voice quiet enough for Ricky not to hear. 

"It's a dumb nickname he refuses to stop using," Shane said with an affectionate eye-roll. "Don't get any ideas" He smiled down at Ryan, but it offered minimal comfort. 

Ryan felt a magnetic pull between them, but restrained himself from reaching out to grab Shane's hand. Something told him that Ricky wouldn't like it if they were touchy. He had to wonder if Shane was thinking the same thing, but it hadn't been long enough to notice a huge shift in his demeanor. 

He took a deep breath in and felt the air expand in his chest. It felt like he was about to go into a war zone. So far, Ricky had been civil but not welcoming in the slightest. He was pretending Ryan wasn't even there. It was better than if he were outwardly belligerent, but Ryan wanted more. He wanted to find out more about Shane's past because he's been so secretive about it. 

He hoped the other people they invited would be more talkative because it was clear Ricky wanted nothing to do with him. There had to be some way to get him to talk, but how?

He had plenty of time to ponder these questions on the car ride over. Shane sat in the back with Ryan and Ricky was driving. 

"Here," Ricky said, handing Shane a travel mug with coffee then turning back to drive. "Because I know you forgot"

"Oh my god, thank you" Shane said, taking the mug as if it were sacred. He took a huge sip then offered it down to Ryan. He saw this as an opportunity. 

"Thanks, your a lifesaver Ricky" Ryan said, putting on his happiest voice. Compliments were always a good way to get the ball rolling. 

"It's for Shane" Ricky clarified, not taking his cold eyes off the road. The unfounded disdain he held for Ryan was becoming more and more apparent. 

"Be nice" Shane scolded, he gave Ryan an apologetic look. It sounded like this wasn't the first time Shane has had to remind Ricky to be polite. Ricky didn't say anything else the whole car ride over, and Shane and Ryan had small conversations to fill the empty space. Sometimes they would try to incorporate Ricky, but he never responded with more than a yes or no. 

Ryan really wanted to take in the scenery of Hell as it was still incredibly new to him, but the nagging anxiety in the back of his head prevented him from doing so. 

"We're here" Ricky announced as he hastily exited the car. Ryan looked out at the building, it was large and made mostly out of windows that gave a clear view of the crowded restaurant. It was filled to the brim with an array of different demons and some human spirits. 

He darted ahead, leaving Shane and Ryan behind. Ryan went to follow, but Shane grabbed his hand.

"I'm really sorry about him" He started, his tone very gentle. "If it helps at all, he's like this with everyone" That statement wasn't just said to help Ryan, it was absolutely true. 

"Don't worry, by the end of today, he's going to love me" Ryan assured him with a look of determination. Shane gave a slight laugh and smiled at Ryan's enthusiasm. He could only hope Ricky would behave better for the rest of the day. Having the two most important people in his life get along would be a dream. However, he wouldn't bet on it.

"I'm sure he will" It wasn't a complete lie... ok maybe it was but it wasn't with bad intent. Shane was sure Katie would be welcoming to Ryan to make up for Ricky. Shane met Katie a few years back at a bookstore and since they had kept up with their shared love of art. Shane wondered how much Ricky had told her about the situation. Most likely it wasn't much as Ricky didn't care for Katie. She was one of the people he tolerated which meant something. 

"There has to be something that'll get him talking" Ryan said, furrowing his brow in concentration. 

"You'll figure something out" Shane said with a smile before taking Ryan's hand and walking towards the entrance. 

"Oh so now you're not going to help?" Ryan joked. he was torn between holding Shane's hand and letting go. He had to consider Ricky's ever-present jealousy. He shook the thought away and focused on what he wanted to do, which was holding Shane's hand. besides, it was a short walk and Ricky was already inside the restaurant.