Soulmate Pt. 2

"Oh come on, didn't I tell you to drop this little human already?" Robert said, turning to face Shane with a knowing grin. Shane gave him a burning glare in return. He was hardly in the mood for Robert's antics. 

"Just let me sign the damn thing already" Shane said, snatching the paper from Robert's hand. Maybe he would've been more patient with him if he hadn't tricked Ricky into signing a similar contract last night. 

"Nice to meet you too" Ryan whispered. he had grown tired of everyone being so against their relationship all the time. He also hated that everyone kept referring to him as the 'little human' constantly. Add that onto the fact Shane just got done telling him that Robert was tying him up in a contract to make Shane come back to Hell... yeah he didn't exactly like this guy. 

"Oh he's got moxie" Robert said, taking a slow step towards Ryan. He was looking at him as if sizing him up.

"I said leave him out of this" Shane warned once again as he looked over the contract. He felt a part of himself die as he was about to write his name on the line. He had to do this for Ricky, he had to do this for Ryan. 

"What if I were to put a clause on the contract that you weren't allowed to keep him?" Robert asked, staring at Ryan like he was an annoying pest. The human had been annoying him ever since he saw the way Shane cared for it. Its existence only made things more complicated. 

Ryan looked to Shane with a look of worry. He wasn't concerned that Shane would go along with this proposal, he was more worried about the implications for Ricky. His trust in Shane was much stronger than he had expected, but it gave him a sense of security. Just as he predicted, Shane's response brought comfort. 

"I wouldn't sign it" Shane hissed, yanking the pen away from the paper. He was nearing the end of his rope when it came to dealing with Robert. 

"Oh really? You would throw Goldsworth under the bus just like that?" Robert's tone indicated he saw this whole thing as a game. Who would Shane choose given the choice? It was an interesting question for sure, and one Shane was forcefully pushing out of his thought at the moment. Ryan pretended like he hadn't thought about the answer.

Robert had always been fascinated by Shane's undecipherable moral compass. He refused to kill anyone who he hadn't done deemed horrendous, but he would betray his best friend? For a human, no less! It's quite the odd system, but an intriguing one. 

It wasn't Shane's moral ambiguity that made him such a valuable asset to the company, though, it was his logical mind. His rules about only killing the worst of the worst was a huge hindrance to the business, but he made up for it by setting up efficient systems. Perhaps if he wasn't weighed down by things like Ricky and Ryan he would be an even better assassin. 

"Shane let's go," Ryan said, standing up and taking Shane's arm. He wasn't sure what else there was to do other than get away from the situation. It was evident Robert knew just how to get on Shane's nerves. The last thing they needed right now was more complications in their lives so Ryan thought it was best to solve this issue as quickly as possible. 

"What did you say?" Shane asked Robert, narrowing his eyes as if challenging him to continue with this game. He had sacrificed everything for Ricky his whole life, and the accusation stung more than he thought it would. Ricky was his best friend and he had been for his entire life, everyone knew that. Robert knew exactly what he was doing. 

Robert had seen firsthand just what they would do for each other, so him saying this was a thinly veiled ploy to irritate Shane. Shane understood this, but his fury refused to listen to logic. 

"Shane-" Ryan started again, trying to pull Shane away gently. He knew this could only end badly. Even though he had only spent a little bit of time with Ricky, he knew how much Shane cared about him and this was sure to get him riled up. Shane's vision was zeroed in on Robert, he couldn't even hear what Ryan was saying anymore. 

"I said I think you're a traitor" Robert clarified with a defiant smirk spread across his face. "But of course, this is all hypothetical. You can keep the human, Shaney" He would deal with Ryan later, right now all he needed was Shane's signature. The pest could be dealt with at a later date. 

Shane quickly signed the contract while staring intently at Robert. If he hadn't already made it clear to Robert that he hated him, the stare would put the nail in the coffin. Shane wasn't normally an angry person, but he couldn't stand another moment with this man. 

"I'll be on my way then" Robert concluded, just as cheery as before. He pinched one of Ryan's cheeks condescendingly "Take care of him for me, will ya?" Ryan grimaced at Robert's touch and tried to back away. 

"Don't fucking touch him" Shane said in a low but even tone as he ripped Robert's hand away from Ryan. He was sure of his words, and it was more than just a warning. Ryan felt a shiver go down his spine. 

Rober backed away for a moment then disappeared into the forest. Ryan let out a long exhale as the interaction ended and looked up at Shane. 

"Oh god, Ryan I'm so sorry" Shane said, turning to face Ryan. The horns and wongs were still present but his expression was much softer than before. Ryan wasn't used to Shane's demon form, but he couldn't deny it looked good. 

"Shut up" Ryan said before pulling Shane down by the collar of his shirt and kissing him. Right now he was feeling a confusing mess of fear, relief, passion, and confusion. In short, he wasn't sure what to think, all he knew was right now he wanted Shane. 

"This wasn't what I was expecting-" Shane managed to say as he momentarily broke away. 

"What part of shut up did you not understand?" Ryan replied, quickly reconnecting the kiss. He wrapped his arms around Shane's neck, careful to avoid the wings. Shane held him by the waist and pulled him closer, confused but excited. He thought for sure Ryan would be angry with him, but this was so much better. 

Ryan led them back into the gazebo and pushed Shane onto the bench, the kiss still connected. He felt goosebumps forming on his neck as Ryan deepen the kiss, his hands intertwined in Shane's hair. Ryan was now sitting on Shane's lap, still feeling the confusing flurry of emotions that only fueled him to go further. 

"Shane" he breathed out, moving the kisses down his jawline. "Let's go back to the house" He whispered between kisses. His heart was pounding so hard he swore Shane could hear it too.