We Were Fine

The filming session went on, and Ryan seemed to be back to normal. The case went by and Shane tried his best not to stare so fondly while Ryan was talking. It was the hardest part of the job. 

"The case remains... Unsolved" Ryan concluded. The cameramen signaled the end of the shoot and everyone went their separate ways. everyone except Ryan and Shane. They had upgraded their filming set and still trying to decorate the vast space. Most of the items were props that they borrowed from other sets but Shane had been collecting a few things on his own time to make the set feel more authentic. He found the vial of holy water and put it on Ryan's side of the desk as a sort of inside joke. 

"Ready to go?" Ryan looked up at him with those excited eyes. Shane returned with a nod and grabbed his coat. He knew Ryan was plotting something, he wasn't the best at hiding it. Shane decided to play along and let Ryan have his fun for a little bit longer. It was still technically a surprise since he didn't know what Ryan was planning, he just knew there was something. 

It sure was extremely endearing to see Ryan get so excited but try to contain it. He always got really fidgety and Shane watched as he drummed his fingers on the steering wheel as he drove. Once they had made a few wrong turns, Shane thought it was time to question where Ryan was taking them. 

"I know we haven't been living here long, but I thought you knew your way home by now" Shane teased, smiling mischievously at Ryan. 

"Oh, I didn't notice I was going the wrong way" He really was bad at lying. They filled the rest of the car ride with small talk about the day. Things were really looking great for the show and after their 'fight' it seemed they both gained perspective on their relationship. Shane had never really tried the whole relationship thing, not for real. 

He was waiting for a person to come along that he really trusted. It had never happened before and he really didn't think it would happen in the human world. But it did, and he was so happy that it did, he was so happy that it was Ryan. 

They pulled off the pavement and onto a dirt road that was bordered by unkept plants that snaked their way onto the path. It got noticeably darker the further they got into the path and stray branches kept hitting the car. Ryan seemed to know where he was going but Shane was still uncertain. Either he was about to get murdered in the middle of the forest, or there would be a very romantic scene waiting for them. If it was the former, it would one hell of a good story when he got back to hell. 

After thinking about that, Shane noticed he hadn't thought about Ricky for a while. It was a small thing to most but to Shane, it meant something more. What exactly it meant was lost on him, but it felt like a big deal. 

He was torn for his thoughts when Ryan stopped the car abruptly, a huge self-satisfied grin on his face. Shane looked at the scene before them to figure what he was so proud of and immediately fell in love with the site. 

it was a wide-open space with the perfect view of the city and the skyline. it was surrounded by trees, but not in a horror movie way because they cleared out enough to offer an open area.

"Wow" was all Shane could say. Hell didn't have places like this, at least not exactly. Maybe the rose-tinted glasses made everything look better but Shane was fine with that. 

"I know" Ryan matched his childlike wonder. For Shane, it was like seeing the sky for the first time, but for Ryan, it was dripping with nostalgia. they hopped out of the car like a bunch of excited puppies and sat where they had the best vantage point. 

Ryan set his head on Shane's shoulder, taking in the fresh air. He felt safe around Shane which not many people could say. Maybe it said something about him that the only person he didn't feel judged around was a literal demon. It didn't matter either way. 

"I think we did this all out of order" Shane said as the light of the day slowly started to fade out. The colors had gotten darker, shifted from pink then to orange, and finally fading into a deep blue. Really in hell, all you had was red and black. 

"What do you mean?" Ryan asked snuggling closer. 

"Well, first I moved in, then we dated. Last time I checked it was supposed to go the other way around" They laughed together again. It felt nice to have someone there to endure his cheesy jokes. 

Shane noticed that Ryan was starting to yawn more and more. He waited until he heard Ryan's breath slow down, then he carried Ryan's sleeping body to the car. He couldn't leave just yet, though, so he sat on the hood of the car. 

"If your done being a creep, you can come out now" Shane said. The previous bliss of the night had suddenly been cut off by Shane's coldness. It seemed like his past and the time he spent with Ryan were in two completely different worlds. 

"Nothing gets by you, Madej" Robert said, materializing in front of Shane with a wide grin. 

"What are you doing here?" Shane asked with a sigh, already knowing the answer. The protective act with Ricky was cute. It was their dynamic, it was their thing. But now that Shane had someone else really important in his life, it wasn't cute anymore. He had Ryan to think about now. 

"Shaney, sometimes you forget about the whole mind-reading thing" Robert said, tapping his temple to demonstrate his point. Robert liked to read people's much more than most demons, he even made it his bit. 

"Right, right" Shane waved a dismissive hand. He really thought he would be happier to see an old friend, but really it was just an inconvenience. After Shane left the business, they didn't keep in contact. they were just too different to properly run the company. Not to mention that Shane really didn't want to be a part of it in the first place and had just tagged along for Ricky's sake. God, he could not control his thoughts. 

"Listen, Shaney, I'm not going to waste your time. I have to tell you that you are breaking the law and do have to come home" Shane raised an inquisitive eyebrow, questioning what he thought was bluff. 

"Look," Robert said, producing a book that had a page bookmarked. Sure enough, the page listed all the reasons a demon could have for an extended trip to the overworld. Shane wasn't doing any of the things on the list. 

"Obviously I have official business here..." Shane responded, scanning over the reasons and looking for one that might be believable. "See? I'm here to.. tempt humans into sinning? 

"Mhm, sure" Robert agreed sarcastically. "You keep forgetting about the mind-reading thing" 

"So... what? Are you going to turn me in?" Shane said with a knowing smile. Robert wouldn't do that, because as much as he pretended he didn't, Shane knew Robert had a soft spot for him. 

"Of course not, who do you think I am?" Robert said, lighting a cigarette. He took a long drag before continuing his proposition Shane knew was coming. He had always been the deal-making type. "Maybe I could convince Ricky to let you stay a little bit longer if you... I don't know... came back and worked with me?"

(A/N: Thank you for 30 chapters!)